3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
j4n-co says

Let me say that I’m new to theme building, so I’m trying to get a grasp on who actually purchases themes.

From the outset, this might seem like a stupid question, because you would think the common scenario is: “Joe the plumber wants a website, so Joe gets some wordpress hosting and then buys you wordpress plumbing theme”.

However, I think there is a second scenario that is more prevalent, which is: “Joe the plumber wants a website, so Joe gets his cousin who knows something about web-design to setup Joes wordpress site. Joe’s cousin then buys your wordpress theme for Joe, and installs and modifies it for Joe”.

Which scenario do you think is more common? 1 or 2?

I ask because these scenarios have different design and marketing considerations.

If you’re building a theme for someone in scenario 2, then features like ‘bootstrap compatible’ are a big plus, whereas in scenario 1, having more ‘drag & drop’ type features is a bigger win.

Looking through theme forest, I see a lot of ‘bootstrap’ as a feature, which leads me to believe that scenario 2 is actually more common.

591 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
jayc says

Let me say that I’m new to theme building, so …................. Looking through theme forest, I see a lot of ‘bootstrap’ as a feature, which leads me to believe that scenario 2 is actually more common….........

Unfortunately none of the above scenarios, in time you will realize that 80%+ of your costumers are some “salesmen”, who pose as Web Development Agencies, most of them don’t have any idea about writing a simple html tag. They buy your theme and pitch it to their clients (they could re-sell it within $300-$8K+). In time you will see that some of them return to you asking for some sort of support (custom work), that is because their end clients might ask for something extra and as their clients think they actually know something about web-development :) ... there is more anyway …bad comments, bad rating and so on …

3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
j4n-co says

wow, interesting. I guess I’ll be on the lookout for these kinds of suspicious support requests. It sucks that people can hold reviews and ratings ‘hostage’ in this way, i.e. “give me custom work or i’ll give you a bad rating”. but I suppose there’s not much one can do in this regard. :confused:

441 posts
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
Jaynesh says

I wouldn’t say 80% of buyers are agencies or “salesmen”

It really depends on the type of theme you will be selling. If you are going to sell a personal portfolio or blogging theme then the majority of the buyers of that particular item will probably be buying it for themselves.

If you are selling a corporate/business or multi-purpose theme then the majority of buyers will be agencies or other web developers for their clients.

by
by
by
by
by
by