24 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
WebDezyners says

Ah shame, something to work towards then, do you do social media? Put that on your profile page and tweet / FB stuff for your customers to follow e.g.

- guides on how to use the theme / magento

- new updates to the themes

- Magenot news (new versions, plugins etc)

Basically become the go to guy for Magento stuff :)

Point duly noted!

37 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
-Steam- says

Greetings Dear WebDezyners. I saw your portfolio and like them.
But you have a great competitor , Infortis work highly quality. Also he/she is older member than you.

Focus on new categories , like cart66. I could start with wordpress too! but start with light theme.
I’m sure you can do this.
Warm Regards.

One tip: Look dear infortis theme, Compatible versions:
1.5.0.1, 1.5.1.0, 1.6.0.0, 1.6.1.0, 1.6.2.0, 1.7.0.0, 1.7.0.1, 1.7.0.2, 1.8.0.0, 1.8.1.0, 1.9.0.0, 1.9.0.1

650 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

1. Category is too saturated (like most these days).

2. You’re too late to land higher on the Magento pile.

3. Your expectations are too high after working less than a year.

Why aren’t you consulting? There’s way more money in it for people that know Magento well compared to theme development. If you’re not in the top 10 authors for a category, you’re making peanuts. Your skills are way more valuable outside the marketplace.

24 posts
WebDezyners says

Why aren’t you consulting? There’s way more money in it for people that know Magento well compared to theme development. If you’re not in the top 10 authors for a category, you’re making peanuts. Your skills are way more valuable outside the marketplace.

Thanks for the suggestions GravityDept. Can you explain little bit more, what do you mean by this, and how could I do that?

650 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
GravityDept says

Thanks for the suggestions GravityDept. Can you explain little bit more, what do you mean by this, and how could I do that?

Loosely: consulting is working directly on behalf of a client, and freelancing is working under agency who manages the client relationship. Both can be good. If you have expertise (technical or design or both) with a platform like Magento, and are inclined to pursue clients to serve their needs — then there’s a lot more opportunity than building themes. I’ve definitely moved far in that direction since 2010 when I helped kick off the Magento category, but I still work on my theme because it’s a stable side income. There are tons of stores running Magento Community that don’t have relationships with Magento partners who need to push Magento Enterprise (good for the right sized client). If you have the capability get involved in the Magento community, blog, release open-source code, and eventually work will start flowing your way or an offer to join an agency. I get too many of both, but I’m happy to stay independent after 5.5 years doing so. It’s all on you to make it happen though. It’s not for most people.

Summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN_JYp9_y8k

24 posts
WebDezyners says

Loosely: consulting is working directly on behalf of a client, and freelancing is working under agency who manages the client relationship. Both can be good. If you have expertise (technical or design or both) with a platform like Magento, and are inclined to pursue clients to serve their needs — then there’s a lot more opportunity than building themes. I’ve definitely moved far in that direction since 2010 when I helped kick off the Magento category, but I still work on my theme because it’s a stable side income. There are tons of stores running Magento Community that don’t have relationships with Magento partners who need to push Magento Enterprise (good for the right sized client). If you have the capability get involved in the Magento community, blog, release open-source code, and eventually work will start flowing your way or an offer to join an agency. I get too many of both, but I’m happy to stay independent after 5.5 years doing so. It’s all on you to make it happen though. It’s not for most people. Summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN_JYp9_y8k

Thanks bro. Much appreciated.

264 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
chilly_orange says

Do you do any outside marketing for your themes? I would say the top selling themes in your category will get the majority of their sales from people looking on the web specifically for Magento themes, a couple of ideas are:

- Your own website which is seo’d for people looking for Magento themes

- Posting on external portfolio sites (dribble, behance etc)

- design blogs, try and get listed in “top magento theme” lists on popular blogs

I have been saying this for ages and it’s true, you can’t rely on Themeforest to supply all your sales, you need to be doing stuff to get exposure for your items as you’re competing against hundreds of other themes.

You could also zazz up your portfolio page, it doesn’t tell me what you do, add your items images to that and promote your items like crazy.

There is a lot you can do to get exposure to your items for no cost just a little time, the more people talking about your items means the more potential sales you can get.

Have you looked at offering one of your items as a freebie item for one month (look at the thread on here under themeforest)?

I’‘m not saying that authors by default should never do any outside marketing of any kind. However, so state that this a definite requirement to be successful on the Envato markets, is basically saying that Envato does not serves it’s purpose. Authors are handing in a sizeable chunk of their earnings to not having to worry about marketing and focus on the products instead. If Envato is not delivering on that front (be it for a certain author in a certain category), I’d say the model simply does not work and I’d try something else. Perhaps a different category, or different market all together?

760 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Gareth_Gillman says

Do you do any outside marketing for your themes? I would say the top selling themes in your category will get the majority of their sales from people looking on the web specifically for Magento themes, a couple of ideas are:

- Your own website which is seo’d for people looking for Magento themes

- Posting on external portfolio sites (dribble, behance etc)

- design blogs, try and get listed in “top magento theme” lists on popular blogs

I have been saying this for ages and it’s true, you can’t rely on Themeforest to supply all your sales, you need to be doing stuff to get exposure for your items as you’re competing against hundreds of other themes.

You could also zazz up your portfolio page, it doesn’t tell me what you do, add your items images to that and promote your items like crazy.

There is a lot you can do to get exposure to your items for no cost just a little time, the more people talking about your items means the more potential sales you can get.

Have you looked at offering one of your items as a freebie item for one month (look at the thread on here under themeforest)?
I’‘m not saying that authors by default should never do any outside marketing of any kind. However, so state that this a definite requirement to be successful on the Envato markets, is basically saying that Envato does not serves it’s purpose. Authors are handing in a sizeable chunk of their earnings to not having to worry about marketing and focus on the products instead. If Envato is not delivering on that front (be it for a certain author in a certain category), I’d say the model simply does not work and I’d try something else. Perhaps a different category, or different market all together?

The problem is that a lot of the categories are now saturated so you have to make yourself stand out, relying on Envato to do it for you isn’t good. Envato will publicise the site as a whole and individual categories but they don’t promote individual items (unless you become an elite) so it’s upto the author to help build a brand around their items. Unless their item gets featured or becomes a top seller some authors are unlikely to get many sales imho.

by
by
by
by
by
by