538 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Typps says

Well, the real question is: why a theme should incorporate so many plugins? The styling should be decoupled from functionality, that’s why themes and plugins are separate things.

Good call, they shouldn’t need to bundle our plugins in theirs, hence feel free to refuse their requests when they ask for permission :P

Quite frankly, it simply doesn’t work out. Even if we had to negotiate a deal with a TF author, there just aren’t any proper features in the marketplace to split profits. I suppose this is something Envato should look into in the future, i.e. A way for authors in the marketplace to collaborate among themselves and split profits fairly. Until then, brokering a deal with other TF authors for us is not simple at all and likely brings more problems than it solves.

5277 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

That’s exactly what i’m saying. TF authors take advantage of the work of CC authors and earn much more money. That’s not fair.

It could be argued that by distributing your plugin with a theme, the plugin author loses sales. I gamble that the impact is minimal, and even though the TF author is receiving a huge ROI, I look at it as money I wouldn’t have otherwise. And in that same line of thinking, if I request more than an extended license price the TF author might just contact someone else—money lost.

Envato mentioned an in-house license for this when they were discussing the licensing a while back. My opnion is that the license should be 25x the original price for every item. Because paying $250 for a script that’s going to be one of the main features of a template is still extremely reasonable.

And while we’re discussing templates, riddle me this: TF author buys extended licenses for 5 CC items totaling $75 in value. Then the template is sold for $15. Seems like fuzzy math to me.

538 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Typps says

I look at it as money I wouldn’t have otherwise.

You cant look at it that way because all buyers of that particular theme are customers you will never gain. Your plugin is being offered bundled with the theme. Hence a lost customer / sale.

Edit: BTW, I see your point and it is also likely that who ever purchased that theme would look for a plugin with similar functionality somewhere else, however once the plugin is bundled, you’ve lost a potential sale. This is a sure thing, guaranteed. Therefore it needs to be regarded as such.

86 posts
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
groupp says

I guess id like to add to this conversation, and ask a questions. Why are templates always more than scripts? I could make a template in a day, while a script takes much longer? Am i the only one who has always thought this makes no sense? Not to mention a template that someone buys can only make them so much, but a script that’s deployed good for whatever reason will make much more..so shouldn’t it BE more?
I’m sorry but (even if I’ll a bit out off topic saying that) but I am 100% sure that a theme cannot be developed in 1 day :)

You DO understand that almost all theme forest templates are now made with bootstrap? That means they start FROM a core that already works…

1400 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

I guess id like to add to this conversation, and ask a questions. Why are templates always more than scripts? I could make a template in a day, while a script takes much longer? Am i the only one who has always thought this makes no sense? Not to mention a template that someone buys can only make them so much, but a script that’s deployed good for whatever reason will make much more..so shouldn’t it BE more?
I’m sorry but (even if I’ll a bit out off topic saying that) but I am 100% sure that a theme cannot be developed in 1 day :)
You DO understand that almost all theme forest templates are now made with bootstrap? That means they start FROM a core that already works…
Even so, at least for me, it takes much more than a day to complete a theme. I’m here for one year, and still haven’t published one single theme, and I am using bootstrap. You see how slow it is :D
366 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+4 more
RightHere says

+1 I receive quite a lot of requests to reuse my work on TF and I refuse all of them. Our work on CC is undervalued IMO.

I do understand why some CC authors don’t allow FT authors to include their work in a theme. The Extended License on CC is way to cheap.

Also it should be possible to select Extended License for only some of your items!

Envato mentioned an in-house license for this when they were discussing the licensing a while back. My opnion is that the license should be 25x the original price for every item. Because paying $250 for a script that’s going to be one of the main features of a template is still extremely reasonable. And while we’re discussing templates, riddle me this: TF author buys extended licenses for 5 CC items totaling $75 in value. Then the template is sold for $15. Seems like fuzzy math to me.

I completely agree with you! ;)

Just like many of you guys we also allow our items to be included in TF themes. And we are definitely happy and honored when authors ask for approval to include an item, but I think it is a joke that you can buy something for $75-$125 and in many cases it will make you 25 times that in profit or more.

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

+1 for price increment on Extended license, no doubt Envato should spend some brain cells on this before spending all their concentration on new services and expansions. I am pretty sure the current pricing structure (of EL) is a result of lack of research by relevant staff resource; not because of a strategic decision.

Anyway, Developer License is more of a demand than Extended. Looks like both are left in jeopardy for the sake of competitive advantages by low pricing and indirect freedom of usage. Atleast allowing Elite authors to increase prices (of Extended atleast) could solve part of the issues.

313 posts No! It's not a 5 minute job!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+8 more
WebFactory says

I’ll go on a limb here and be rude – seems to me Envato is much more involved in playing around with new services rather than fixing/improving things on stable marketplaces that have been asking for some attention for +3 years. Really don’t see a logic in that … :(

1026 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

I plan to release my first plugin in the next few weeks. I’m going to refuse to allow other authors to use it in themes, and then I’ll release my own themes including the plugin, and advertise them as the only themes that include the plugin ($20 value). Hopefully it boosts sales!

220 posts
  • France
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
corsonr says

I’ll go on a limb here and be rude – seems to me Envato is much more involved in playing around with new services rather than fixing/improving things on stable marketplaces that have been asking for some attention for +3 years. Really don’t see a logic in that … :(

I think CC top sellers should join the conversation and explain their thoughts on that specific point!

by
by
by
by
by
by