268 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
beetlesales says

This has always puzzled me. Why are newsletter templates more expensive than landing pages? I mean, a newsletter template only consists of images and text, whereas a landing page contains jquery, css3, custom fonts and much more…

Any feedback?

124 posts
  • Belarus
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Themico says

I think because email templates are much harder to code properly. It is not as simple as code the usual HTML /CSS page. The reason is the email templates need to work in the lot of email clients, and they are not so smart as browsers.

268 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
beetlesales says

I think because email templates are much harder to code properly. It is not as simple as code the usual HTML /CSS page. The reason is the email templates need to work in the lot of email clients, and they are not so smart as browsers.

Thanks for the reply. How exactly do they “work” with email clients?

124 posts
  • Belarus
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
Themico says

Thanks for the reply. How exactly do they “work” with email clients?

There are a lot of limitations when creating a HTML email template. Forgot about DIV ’s and CSS2 in separate files. You need go back to table-based layout, inline CSS , tags like “font” and other garbage. This is how we code about 8 years ago, and imagine that you need to do this today!

456 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Israel
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
virtuti says

People who are risking to code an email newsletter must be triple awarded for their patience.

Once I tried to do this thing and quitted the adventure very soon. First headache was inline css and tables, second headache was how to make it looking more or less ok, remembering that by default images would be turned off, third headache was how to test it in multiple email clients… I think Themico is absolutely right saying that a higher price can be termed by difficulty and annoyance of the process of creating the email newsletter…

268 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
beetlesales says

Thanks a lot for the replies. I can definitely see how difficult it could be to ensure your template functions properly with different mail clients.

by
by
by
by
by
by