2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Just to throw in a comment about the pricing difference – @rayoflightt is indeed quite correct.

I was one of the more vocal authors that argued on the forums that helped us all get a few bucks more for WordPress themes last year, at the time I also mentioned that HTML and other categories also needed a bump.

This doesn’t seem to of happened and they are grossly underpriced when you take in to account the extra features, JS, and responsiveness they now demand – I’m in a whole bunch of categories and the early days of email templates and HTML (plus PSD) are far from a mirror of what needs to be done these days not only to be accepted but also to sell.

I think it’s time the other categories had a similar bump in price (percentage wise) to help reflect the awesome work / files and support that is offered here at ThemeForest.

Jonathan

5325 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

I think it’s time the other categories had a similar bump in price (percentage wise) to help reflect the awesome work / files and support that is offered here at ThemeForest.

+1

The best argument for HTML template pricing seems to be how it’s compared to WordPress. But the two genres don’t compete against each other so the logic is flawed.

If we queried all buyers and asked them why they bought a WordPress theme as opposed to an HTML template, it’s reasonable to assume the top answers would be:

1. It matched my project’s design needs
  2. It offered the content features my project needed
  3. It was available in WordPress which was important for my project
  4. It was available as an HTML template and having a backend wasn’t important for my project. I also prefer to work with templates as opposed to WordPress themes anyway.

Notice that none of these answers have anything to with price ;)

109 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
elemis says

Jonathan

+1

5902 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

When it comes to pricing, Envato is completely offtrack to consider how much it costs for a developer to support recent devices as well as how much it contributes for the overall growth. They neither set special prices nor promote latest device friendly categories/items as if they are living in a cave.

Anyway, I would be surprised if they manage hike prices for anything other than WP. When a company believes they can pull customers by Free file of the month and continuous innovations on bundles, we can’t expect certain qualities from them.

The only one bright side of not hiking the price is, it somehow justifies not supporting items!

27 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
werkbond says

Hello All,

Not new here, but recently decided to create a theme (HTML), maybe a Wordpress version later on.

I was wondering if it’s worth creating a HTML version, reading the comments here doesn’t really encourage to sell just an HTML template..

by
by
by
by
by
by