912 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Australia
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
JBlanks says

At 9 my Dad introduced me with his melody in his head and he played on my Casio synth. First time i feel deep emotional felling in music… From that moment till now i created music! On & on! Forever!

I’m trying to figure out how to be your Dad. Any advice warmly received via email. ;) I hope you write music for the rest of your life Davor. May it bring you joy every day. :)

JB

912 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
JBlanks says

Hi Jamie, the first bit of mine might interest you :)

This is the first time I have ever thought about it. My story as a composer…goes something like this:

When I was a young boy, I used to love the old Hammer horror films and I used to sneak downstairs when staying at my grandparents house late at night to watch them. One day whilst at my uncle Brian’s house, he learnt of this interest and gave me a book about horror films (A Pictoral History Of Horror Movies, published by Hamyln…still got it). Anyway, he also had an old home organ…two manuals and pedals. He let me have a go and I started composing my first music…all scary, dark sinister noises and thunder and lightning trying to emulate the creepy music of the films I loved.

Well that was the start. My parents got the family an organ and eventually when my feet could reach the pedals I was allowed to go and have lessons. During my time learning to play I became interested in Jazz and Blues and how in those styles you could ‘make’ up stuff. Improvise, compose on the fly. I loved that. I was fascinated by it.

Moving on after switching to piano and acquiring a Roland D50 synth…making noises was also marvelous fun…I ended up studying for a music degree after dropping out of art college. Whilst doing the degree, I continued my interest in improvisation but had to start composing ‘proper’ music….writing, scoring and arranging.

I had always dabbled at composing but that it where I started to understand how to contruct music more professionally. When I left I went on to compose for videogames and also for some other projects such as advertising etc…

I have always mainly been a performer, in groups etc but Audiojungle has sparked my interest after a long time away, in composition once again

:)

Ok – I knew I liked you instinctually Rev – but you’ve just it confirmed it for all time. I was around 13-14 and used to go to bed early certain nights and get up at 3:00am to watch Hammer movies on tv in Australia. They even ran Hammer House of Horror for a few months which really got in the way of school!

Some of the best memories of my youth were watching those movies and being totally freaked out – in the best way, like after going on a roller coaster. No one else was there to share those moments so they remain personal experiences which I cherish.

My brother lived in UK for a while and we spent a week visiting locations from Hammer movies and tv, Dr Who, Stonehenge. Total nerd joy. I always felt UK has atmosphere that is unique, in movies and tv but mostly in reality.

We share that special time in front of keyboard, organ etc. writing our first tracks. Was music ever that exciting again…? (except for maybe first day of playing with Omnisphere….? ;) )

Ok – we gotta talk more about this. Will email you soon. You rule Rev.

gballx and revturkey – two more pieces of evidence that some of the most awesome people in the world come from UK. A personal belief of mine. And Germany. I’m talking to you Udo and Joerg.

I love composers. Respect.

17 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
dbSounds says

Music is my life, and that is my key of my Joy! My father was a record collector from various genre of music until one day his was sick… I never listen child music in my life when i was little boy. I always remember when he play me Weather Report – Birdland when i was 4 years old. That song i listen in sad moments and suddenly boom!!! Joy and happiness in me for life! My tip is ’’You must learn to listen’‘ That is the only way you can find your right melody deep inside you:) Cheers!

774 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+1 more
StudioEtude says

Awesome background Studio Etude. Musical family is a great way to ensure your musical skills are not washed away by other circumstances. Can hear in your words the passion for music and the heritage. I was blown away when I learned at around 12 that I had a long history of musicians on both sides of my family – except while I was a kid none of them (except my grandma) were alive. My Dad’s father (grandpa #2) had a pianola in his house that no one had played since his mother had died – always resented me playing it for some reason but when I learned the history of the piano it was a nice feeling. To feel like it was still being loved by the surviving musician in the dynasty (lol).

My mum’s mum – (grandma #1 to this day) was from Germany and very musical family. Without her I would have never discovered music at the right age. I have 10 year old son who would rather play xbox or playstation than play on Dad’s awesome musical rig. I literally would have never made friends as a kid if I had all these toys back then… Trying to expose him to music in a way he will come to like I did, but so far…I seem to be failing. :(

Music is the most wonderful thing man has invented – in my opinion. We are all so lucky to have this form of expression and AJ as an outlet. Viva musicians everywhere! Thanks Mr Etude.

My grandmother played the piano in the movie theater, she is very good at playing the piano (God rest her soul!), So for me and bought a piano :). And I have a daughter, she is studying music at the piano goes to the 4th grade, she, too, 10 years old :)

248 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+4 more
DanHoodMusic says

Great question!!

My story is a bit weird maybe…

It all started with piano lessons at a young age, then trumpet, then guitar at 15… My earliest influence and musical memory is sitting on the steps to our basement, listening to my brother play band instruments in a “round robin” fashion when I was about 5. He would play a trumpet part, then trombone, then tenor sax, then the piano part of a high school band tune…

I never intentionally pursued music as a career until my mid-late 20’s. I just studied some jazz in college and played in bands on guitar and bass, and taught lessons just because it seemed natural. I have a composer friend that approached me about some guitar tracks, and I began to “freelance/intern” with him for about 5yrs. We have done well, and still work together as often as I am needed. In the past 10+ years, I have begun the process of learning to listen… then translating that feeling into music. I am reminded of my childhood days watching Looney Tunes cartoons where the music was a subconscious thing that contributed to the emotional content of the visual. I want to be able to do that…

This led me to AJ… I needed an outlet for my “learning” and another source of income (being a full-time musician is hard work!!)... I have written a lot of music in the past 6 months. Almost as much the past 6 years of custom music and session work!

1401 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
lucafrancini Envato team says

Nice thread :)
I started very young playing trumpet so I was just an executor. I remember that the very first time I wrote something was at 11-12 years old and it was a sort of transcription of “Deep Red” by Goblin for my friends (2 sax, 1 clarinet). We tried to play it and it sounded very boring :D
I bought my first pc when I was 15-16 and then I discovered sequencers… and piano rolls became the medium from my soul to other people ears:)

515 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
JonBuice says

Well I’ll start off by saying I’m actually a biologist. I attended Syracuse University in 2006 for my BS in bio, and during the first two years had a pretty serious relationship. That started going sower after two years and eventually ended terribly. I started keeping a journal to cope, and that turned into lyric-like writing. After graduating, I straight PANICKED because my heart wasn’t really in biology. So I thought “hmm i’ve played piano forever…screw it i’m just gunna go for it” and that summer I enrolled in an audio production school and graduated (again) 2 years later, 2nd in my class. All that time I was writing, composing, scoring, networking and now I have a fulltime job in audio-post and numerous side projects with some pretty big producers! Not to mention AJ haha. Couldn’t be happer though, life has certainly taken some pretty fortunate turns :)

866 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
+2 more
MichalskiMusic says

For me, it was all just a natural progression…haha, pun intended.

Music came easy to me early. My love for it was nurtured by both of my parents. My mother, when young, was offered a full scholarship to the then Cincinnati Conservatory of Music even though she had attended a very small school in a rural area of northwest Ohio. She was quite talented, but did not think she could live, eat, sleep the life, so she passed on it. But she did make sure I was exposed to all types of music from an early. I remember listening to Tchaikovsky immediately followed by The Coasters followed by Simon and Garfunkel. It was just that way.

I started playing tuba at the age of 10 and then picked up horn, trombone, trumpet, euphonium, guitar and a little banjo when I was in high school. I majored in Music Education and composed just as needed in order to graduate. At the time I found it tedious.

After college, I started doing arrangements for concert and marching band when I was working as a high school band director. In 1984, I picked up a Commodore 64 computer. That was followed shortly by a Casio CZ-101 and a MIDI interface. All of a sudden, composing wasn’t nearly as tedious.

I went through a couple of Atari STs and continued to dawdle in composing but did not really srart doing anything serious. Four children entered the scene and the composing thing went bye-bye while I found ways to put food in the mouths. During this time, I changed careers from teaching to software development.

Finally, after being away from music for quite some time, I had made enough money in software development that I could actually afford a decent studio…and the learning curve that went with it. ;-) By now, it was 2005, and I started writing in earnest. I had to learn production at the same time but I dove into it. I was writing mainly electronic stuff, as that had caught my fancy, even though I was classically trained. Since that time, I have continued to work in software development, but have had a few placements in film and TV. I decided that, if I was going to keep writing music, I might as well make a little dough from it. So, after joining AJ a year earlier, I started posting tracks just this past February.

So, for me, it has all been a long time coming. But I could not be happier. AJ is a great outlet for me. Glad I found it.

OK, you all can wake up now. I don’t mind you sleeping through my story, but the snoring was a bit much. ;-)

866 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
+2 more
MichalskiMusic says

Sorry….double post…it was long enough the first time through…

128 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
MCDenny says

From an early age I showed affection for music. the age of 15 I started to get interested in hip hop music, I recorded the song on free beats and I wanted something more, I started making up my first hip-hop beats, later it spread to the rest of the music. Since 2010 I was interested with house and electronic dance music that has revolutionized the music industry, and then I found out that music is something that will follow me through life. Until much later that I learned about audiojungle and started uploading.

by
by
by
by
by
by