4672 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

I think buyers are either going to make an effort to rate a file 5 stars if they’re overly ecstatic about your file, or one of your loyal fans. Or they’re going to rate 1 star if they’re very dissatisfied with the file, or just angry with the world in general. In theory, every file approved here should never be worth 1 star. I think a lot of 4 star files were potentially 5 star files, but had a few angry 1 star voters.

Just remember ratings has a lot more to do with things like, support, documentation, and usability – than quality, skill level expertise, amount of work put into the file etc.

1359 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

Just remember ratings has a lot more to do with things like, support, documentation, and usability – than quality, skill level expertise, amount of work put into the file etc.

This^^ By far the most valued asset to a customer is good support. I think they just want to know that there’s a helping hand in their investment. I mention helping hand because I’m not talking about customisations, but just good theme support for users issues and bugs.

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
familychoice says

In general I disagree with all that’s been said here. If buyers only rate when they are unhappy why is is that most files have 4 or 5 star rating?
Yes, I know some guys that vote just to try some sort of revenge, but it’s not accurate that buyers only rate items when they are dissatisfied.

I agree, the majority of themes on here are 4/5 stars, which hardly backs up the claims that bad ratings are given in protest. To me it looks like the complete opposite, otherwise Themeforest would be filled with 1/2 star ratings.

548 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
tonvie says

In general I disagree with all that’s been said here. If buyers only rate when they are unhappy why is is that most files have 4 or 5 star rating?
Yes, I know some guys that vote just to try some sort of revenge, but it’s not accurate that buyers only rate items when they are dissatisfied.
I agree, the majority of themes on here are 4/5 stars, which hardly backs up the claims that bad ratings are given in protest. To me it looks like the complete opposite, otherwise Themeforest would be filled with 1/2 star ratings.

I agree as well. In fact, rating an item is the very first thing I do after downloading a file and I start out giving a 5…every single time…I figure hey, I wouldn’t have bought an item in the first place if I didn’t think it was freakin’ awesome. As an author, you would have to call my Mama names before I’d change a rating from a 5 lol.

That said, I don’t know why some themes have 1000 sales and 50 ratings. I don’t know how, but Envato has to make these people start rating every damn item!

by
by
by
by
by
by