50 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
havokdesigns says

I’m browsing through static and Wordpress themes and a majority of them seem to have a 0-100 loading bar. It reminds me of of the old flash website days and I hated that. Is this a new web design trend?

13 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
creativejs says

“Because we can” this is the main reason i think.

302 posts mekshq.com
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+5 more
meks says

Loaders and sliders are so 1999 if you ask me. :bigsmile:

1823 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

If a theme loads lots of resources and the visitor doesn’t have a good internet connection, it’s better to see a loading image while the javascript files are all loaded instead of seeing how the whole layout changes while the files are being loaded. It’s like “please wait a second while we prepare the website for you!”

1611 posts Chris Robinson
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

Because its a trend.

2064 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
Landonw says

If a theme loads lots of resources and the visitor doesn’t have a good internet connection, it’s better to see a loading image while the javascript files are all loaded instead of seeing how the whole layout changes while the files are being loaded. It’s like “please wait a second while we prepare the website for you!”

I don’t think JavaScript should make large enough of a difference that the whole layout will change between it not being loaded and being loaded; And I’ve found that these loading bars actually degrade my experience as someone with relatively fast internet.

1823 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

That’s the point, if the page loads immediately, that loading bar shouldn’t even be noticed. :) At least that’s how it should be coded. For example, in one of my complex themes, the layout was changing a little bit in the first 1-2 seconds because of lots of animations and scripts so I decided to add a loading bar, to prevent the user seeing those ‘transitions’.. so he can see the final website instead.

4710 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

I think things are becoming more “Flashy” like the old days – which is a good thing. Having things loading intermittently looked messy, especially on slower connections. But now that we’re moving back towards transitioned sections and animations, a preload of elements prior to displaying them is essential to maintain a fluid user experience like we had with Flash sites. Not everyone is on a 100mb line, like here in Africa most of us still use 2mb.. so we need those preloaders! :D

1455 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

It’s a trend mainly, though preloading is definitely useful. If it’s a wp theme then the author probably put an option in to disable it, if it’s html, well you can remove it easily anyway :)

3329 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

Just a trend.

I have yet to see a theme use a “preloading” animation and actually do any real preloading most are just time stalls. If your worried about slow users, you’re better off caching(server side) but then that wouldn’t really be a theme issue more a site owner one.

by
by
by
by
by
by