• Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Exclusive Author
ait says

I’m not quite sure if theme updates really need approvals. Updates are not being checked in details as new theme releases. We’re probably just waiting for hours for somebody just to click the button.

Theme update can be sometimes quite crucial and it’s kind of frustrating to explain to customers that they have to wait 1 day until they can download a theme where we changed one small thing.

There should be also a history of old theme versions. So in case of an unexpected bug they can always download a previous version. These things are standard in software development for years.

39 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
DeliciousThemes says

I’m not quite sure if theme updates really need approvals. Updates are not being checked in details as new theme releases. We’re probably just waiting for hours for somebody just to click the button.

Theme update can be sometimes quite crucial and it’s kind of frustrating to explain to customers that they have to wait 1 day until they can download a theme where we changed one small thing.

There should be also a history of old theme versions. So in case of an unexpected bug they can always download a previous version. These things are standard in software development for years.

You`re right. Theme updates shouldn`t take so long time to get accepted, but they still have to be checked by someone. When WordPress releases a new version, some functions gets deprecated. I believe Envato staff knows about them and have to review all these updates so that themes uploaded be compatible with WordPress and follow best coding principles.

If a few months ago they didn`t care about how comments were built, now you have to make sure “comment_form” function is being used. If a few months ago you were allowed to srip out native functionality like wpautop and wptexturize, now you have to come up with better solutions.

Envato has so much work to do to improve its marketplaces but all I can see is that author dashboard comments structure is changed every week…

I would like to see a new structure for “Popular Items” for example. It would be great if “Last Week’s Top WordPress Sellers” could be changed to “Last 7 Days Top WordPress Sellers”. This way the items will be changed every day, not once a week and all authors will be equal. They shouldn`t have to submit themes only on monday in order to get as many sales over the week :zipped:

962 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Ireland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
EireStudio says

+1,000,000 and it would leave the reviewers more time to review new themes.

1675 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

If you have new features, reviewers need to know they work as you advertise, I got rejected once because I haven’t updated some stuff according to the new features. That is one case, but there could be so much more: documentation, design changes, etc.

492 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
wopethemes says

how reviewer can manage if they don’t check the update and you update with non-license items with your item?

3072 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

Automatic Approve Updates can be a nice option. But only enabled individually and ONLY after the author has proved to be honest by a number of previous updates that were cool.

1868 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

how reviewer can manage if they don’t check the update and you update with non-license items with your item?

There is no way a reviewer can check if you have rights to use all the assets included or not.

1675 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

That is your responsibility. The reviewer has the duty to check your design and features. Did you take the quiz?

169 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
mikedidthis says

I would love to be able to push updates without the 48 hour wait, but understand the issue that everything in the archive needs checking again.

Would be nice to push the update first as the theme has already been accepted, and then the reviewer can check the update / do a diff check on the files at a later time.

590 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
CodeSwift says

It has been discussed on the forums before. I’m all for it, would be great if at least elite authors don’t have to wait.

About the older versions, always keep all the versions in the download, not just the latest one.

by
by
by
by
by
by