490 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
wopethemes says

how reviewer can manage if they don’t check the update and you update with non-license items with your item?
There is no way a reviewer can check if you have rights to use all the assets included or not.

if you include wrong license for an item bought from envato markets , you have softreject and wait for some more days.

3418 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

I think this is a good idea – especially the versioning part, if nothing else.

590 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
CodeSwift says

I disagree.

Just include all the versions in the download.

3418 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
+4 more

I disagree.

Just include all the versions in the download.

There are enough problems with customers not understanding what the download package includes. Let’s not compound that.

Anyway, it’s just a waste to create giant download packages. Most customers will never need an older version.

233 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Stammi says

[...] Just include all the versions in the download.

I disagree.

What if one version (e.g. on VideoHive) is 512MB big and the download includes 5 versions. Then we’ve to download 2560MB.

First problem: Traffic. Second problem: People with slow internet (e.g. me) have to download several hours/days for just one item. Third problem: Just a few people really need an older version. Fourth problem: Buyers are confused.

590 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
CodeSwift says

There are enough problems with customers not understanding what the download package includes. Let’s not compound that. Anyway, it’s just a waste to create giant download packages. Most customers will never need an older version.

Introducing something new will just create more confusion.

It’s few MB more. Even if you have a lot of versions simply remove the older ones, keep the few latest ones, those are the most important.

“Most customers will never need an older version.” Well why get the Envato team to spend time on a version feature then if most customers will never use it? There are many other features that are more important.

I disagree.

What if one version (e.g. on VideoHive) is 512MB big and the download includes 5 versions. Then we’ve to download 2560MB.

First problem: Traffic. Second problem: People with slow internet (e.g. me) have to download several hours/days for just one item. Third problem: Just a few people really need an older version. Fourth problem: Buyers are confused.

Don’t know about videohive, don’t care about it either. I care about Themeforest and themes are a few MB max so the size isn’t an issue.

And like sevenspark you said the same thing, “Just a few people really need an older version”. So i might be missing something here, it doesn’t seam logical to suggest a feature to be implemented that hardly anyone will use. Perhaps i didn’t properly understand what’s this about.

3418 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
+4 more

There are enough problems with customers not understanding what the download package includes. Let’s not compound that. Anyway, it’s just a waste to create giant download packages. Most customers will never need an older version.
Introducing something new will just create more confusion.

I’m saying we shouldn’t make the download packages – the thing that EVERY customer must interact with – more confusing. They should be as simple and straightforward as possible so we can provide the best customer experience possible. In fact, I think we should separate out the “Theme” and the “Documentation/Resources” into two separate downloads so that we eliminate the “missing style.css” issue that causes so much strife.

A well implemented “Prior versions” download list (separate page for each product) would not be confusing; but even if it is, users who don’t understand it could happily ignore it. Not so with many versions in a download package.

It’s few MB more. Even if you have a lot of versions simply remove the older ones, keep the few latest ones, those are the most important.

My theme download packages are very lightweight, but I’ve seen themes with download packages of 50mb or more (I assume they contain PSDs, many images, etc). Your solution may work for some, but not for all.

“Most customers will never need an older version.” Well why get the Envato team to spend time on a version feature then if most customers will never use it? There are many other features that are more important.

Of course there are, no one said this was a top priority. Doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be a good feature.

Anyway, since the original topic here was regarding update approval, let’s not let this thread get too far off topic. You’re welcome to your opinion, I’m welcome to mine – by expressing both of them we give the Envato team multiple options to consider and they can decide which is best :)

590 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
CodeSwift says

About separating, i agree. There’s already that theme zip (no docs no psd…) required field when uploading/updating themes. So it’s very easy to add a little link in the downloads only for the theme zip.

Well you only include the versions of the theme, not the whole package for every version.

The update approval was discussed about a month ago, they’re aware of that and honestly i don’t think it’ll happen. I really hope it will thou.

by
by
by
by
by
by