Why doesn't Themeforest introduce feedback/assessment/rating system for rejected items?

15 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Located in Belarus
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
okendoken says

My theme Light Blue Admin Dashboard was rejected 7 times.

Unfortunately I am not a designer, I am programmer. I have no super-skills in design, but I want to learn it. After each rejection I made changes to my template but each time I wasn’t sure whether I was doing it right or wrong.

So, my proposal for themeforest is to introduce a kind of assessment system for items being reviewed. For example when doing a review, a reviewer could put his marks about specific part of template like hierarchy, typography and so on into a simple table. Then this table can be attached to rejection message. It could look something like this:

Design Hierarchy…....OK
Typography….OK
Uniquenes…...FAIL
etc….

If design part is OK than techincal part can be attached

Techincal JS…..............OK
CSS…...........OK
HTML….........FAIL

I don’t think it would take to much of reviewer’s time. And I am more than sure that a reviewer does such an assessment in his/her mind. So they can just put it “on paper”. It will help rejected authors to avoid making more complex and deeper mistakes when trying to make template better.

Themeforest, I think that making such a small step towards your rejected authors will greatly increase your karma.

Thanks.

1357 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

Sadly, ThemeForest isn’t in the Karma business & the reviewers are already stretched to the limit of what they can handle.

Whilst I’m not saying you have a bad idea here, I’d say given the current state of the review queue, anything that is going to slow it down is not going to be looked at for now.

Again, not a bad idea, just not a good time for it :)

585 posts
AlexFjord says

My understanding is that the reviewers receive such an amount of submissions that this would take too long.

With all due respect to anyone submitting files to produce a product that people will want to buy (as with any industry) requires a degree of professionalism and skills and if someone lacks those then perhaps it is more right market.

Don’t get me wrong I am all for people becoming authors and developing their skills BUT reviewers are not there as tutors and we see in the forums alone some files that have been submitted which are so far off the mark it would take ages for the reviewer to remark on it and even if they did have a simple tick box system and say for example bad typography that does not mean the author will understand or know how to fix it.

To me the current system backed by the forums and other users feedback is a v fair way to do it.

124 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Belarus
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Themico says

Your suggestion only good if you look from rejected authors point of view.

From Envato side this will be just useless spent of resources (reviewers time) to rate each item like this. There is enough authors here who produce items with enough quality in all terms. ThemeForest don’t look for new authors today, so they will not teach you if you not good enough for example in design.

Just cooperate with a good designer and work together. You will never be competitive here alone, not today.

4336 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

Just cooperate with a good designer and work together. You will never be competitive here alone, not today.

Here’s the thing: Your template looks simplistic and needs more attention to the details, spacing issues all over the place and typography could use some some refinements.

We’d love to help you out, but we can only provide specific feedback after it has crossed a certain threshold, quality wise. Your admin template has a nice start and I encourage you to keep working on it.

There is enough authors here who produce items with enough quality in all terms. ThemeForest don’t look for new authors today.

We love to have new authors, no one has a special treatment here, just because an author has an Elite Author badge and a Plutonium Paw it doesn’t mean we will approve their files without an strict item review.

[...] so they will not teach you if you not good enough for example in design.

Envato’s mission is “Help people to earn and to learn, online”, I’m pretty sure you know the Tuts+ blogs ;)

493 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
wopethemes says

Here’s the thing: Your template looks simplistic and needs more attention to the details, spacing issues all over the place and typography could use some some refinements.

We’d love to help you out, but we can only provide specific feedback after it has crossed a certain threshold, quality wise. Your admin template has a nice start and I encourage you to keep working on it.

There is enough authors here who produce items with enough quality in all terms. ThemeForest don’t look for new authors today.

We love to have new authors, no one has a special treatment here, just because an author has an Elite Author badge and a Plutonium Paw it doesn’t mean we will approve their files without an strict item review.

[...] so they will not teach you if you not good enough for example in design.
Envato’s mission is “Help people to earn and to learn, online”, I’m pretty sure you know the Tuts+ blogs ;)

thanks for your comment. why you don’t send 1-2 sentences like this for each hard reject item? it’s very value for us. I don’t think it’s waste too much your times.

I see reviewer only send detail for only sort-reject item.

Thanks

1792 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Because they probably receive lots of crap templates and most of them are complete disasters, if they’d write details for each one, review would probably take 2 seeks

15 posts
  • Located in Belarus
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
okendoken says

Thanks AlexFjord and Themico. I had this kind of idea before, but you made me realize it completely. So will go learn again to become a professional:)

Ivor thanks for your feedback! At least now I know in which direction I should move.

by
by
by
by
by
by