2114 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
fifty_tons says

question to donchev_a: are you american?

660 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+1 more
donchev_a says

I’m Bulgarian, but live and work in Chicago USA .

1103 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+12 more
ranfirefly says

Hey donchev_a,
I just had to respond.
I read all this thread and all your responses and comments, and I understand your pain and frustration.
This kind of issue happened to me more than once – frankly, I couldn’t do much about it, and I found myself thinking the same… “Damn everyone, Damn customers, I’m gonna leave this place”... and so on..
But I’m still here.

I can see you’re climbing up to your 1000 sales.
That’s a milestone.
Imagine that: You open a new store… everybody is happy… all your clients are satisfied… But unexpectedly, one of your clients is not that satisfied (hell knows why – it doesn’t matter)... so the clients around really don’t know what the fuss is all about… But, the day after is gone.

Believe me, I got some rude response and comments in few of my files, and that’s not damaging sales.
I believe that most of the customers (buyers) in this community are smart and intelligent and they know how to ignore those kind of illogical comments.

Your work is awesome. Keep up.
:)

2075 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
LanceSnider says

First off, no matter what happens, I really hope you stick around. You’re a great author and a great community member. Yes, you’ve had a setback, but don’t let that keep you from becoming a top author.

Regarding comments being posted on every file to discredit the author, that’s spam. Actually, worse in my opinion because it’s a lot more malicious than your typical spam. Like Ran said, two comments later people will forget, but it can still be detrimental, at least temporarily. Support is always happy to kill comments like that. If it’s just one or two comments, just flag them. If you’re getting harassed, just shoot me, Adrien, or Thinesh off an email and we’ll take care of it asap. It sounds like Thinesh has deleted all of yours, but if the buyer starts again, send me an email and I’ll take stronger actions. We’d never let the authors just get attacked unjustly without taking action.

Authors are never required to give support. I like what 50tons said. If there’s a bug you’re ethically obligated to help. If it’s a small fix, you don’t need to help, but it’s nice. If it’s a customization, they should pay. It’s not uncommon for a buyer to complain to the author, not get anywhere, then complain to us. At that point we always investigate to see if the complaint is valid. A lot of times it is valid. If it’s not, we very clear about letting them know that support isn’t required. We never turn the buyer against the author just because “the customer is always right.” It wouldn’t be fair to them as they’d continue thinking they’d been cheated and it definitely wouldn’t be fair to the author.

I’m sorry that support didn’t remove the rating. It sucks and it’s happened to all of us. Not too long ago ratings showed up before there were at least 3 votes. I have an especially painful story about a bad rating from those days, but I won’t share it here. :) The way the system is now, we can’t remove ratings. Buyers, just like authors, are a part of the community and whether they’re right or wrong are entitled to their opinion. We’re happy to remove rude and slanderous comments, but we can’t just remove every negative rating. If we did, the system would get manipulated and ratings would be even less relevant. That being said, there have been a lot of great discussions among the staff lately about how rating could be improved for both authors and buyers. I’m not sure what exactly is going to happen, but just know that it’s at least on the table.

I love the idea dimumurray came up with about having a disclaimer. That would solve a lot of misunderstandings. Great idea!

2075 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+7 more
LanceSnider says
I’ve had a customer do the same thing where he posed the same comment on all my membership login apps. I flagged the comments and they were never removed. Luckily with support of other buyers, people quickly saw that the rude commenter was in the wrong and my files still get decent sales still and post nice comments

Seriously!? Sorry man! Send me a link and I’ll get right on that.

660 posts
+1 more
donchev_a says

LanceSnider, thank you man. you are always so helpfull.

I am glad that the rating system is on the table.

Please consider this thread: http://activeden.net/forums/thread/about-the-rating-system/15076?page=2

and especially the theflyingtinman post in the end of the second page. He did very good suggestion.

I don’t mind the one bad rating. Just glad that there will be better rating system. That’s completely enough!

LeatherwingStudios
LeatherwingStudios Recent Posts Threads Started
559 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+1 more
LeatherwingStudios says
we can’t remove ratings

I’m assuming by “can’t” you mean “won’t” since you obviously have the capability to alter stuff in the database! :)

if you agreed the customer was being malicious, and apparently you did agree since you removed his comments, then you absolutely should remove his negative rating.

660 posts
+1 more
donchev_a says
we can’t remove ratings

I’m assuming by “can’t” you mean “won’t” since you obviously have the capability to alter stuff in the database! :)

if you agreed the customer was being malicious, and apparently you did agree since you removed his comments, then you absolutely should remove his negative rating.

you are not forgotten from me. ;-)

I told you awhile ago… I like you man… you are soooo funny. Have a wonderful night!

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
CodingJack says

I agree that a customer’s right to rate is important. But maybe a rule should be put in place that if a buyer demonstrates this type of behavior (spamming every file, etc.) they lose they’re comment and rating privileges.

857 posts Envato Studio Communications Manager
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Featured in the Envato Market Community podcast
+7 more
Jordan_M Envato team says

Hi donchev,

First of all I want to say sorry that you feel that this situation has made you consider leaving the Marketplaces, echoing everyone else’s sentiments it would certainly be a shame to see you go.

I am slightly concerned over the ways that you feel Support have dealt with the situation and I would like to clarify some things for yourself and other members. As Lance stated we simply cannot alter file ratings without asking our very busy, (think redesign), development team to actually go in and alter the rating code manually which is currently impractical for the removal of a single negative rating, this would also present other issues if we did indeed go ahead and change it, like in what circumstances would we just remove negative ratings when authors asked and who would make that decision? It’s very important that people who purchase a file, regardless of how we feel about their motivations, get their chance to share their opinions like everyone else does, however, I’m not saying that the current system is perfect – far from it. No one is here to make that claim.

I believe that it’s important to have faith that most buyers won’t poorly judge a quality file, that they must already be interested in, over a single negative rating. As has been stated previously we will always be happy to remove comments that are irrelevant or unjustly disparaging in any way and I am sorry that this wasn’t done when you submitted your Support Ticket.

Speaking on behalf of the whole Support team, I’d like to make it clear that both the team I work with and myself take our roles very seriously as we do Customer Service. If you ever feel that you have been legitimately wronged in any situation – be you an author, buyer, whatever, please contact Support in a ticket and ask for me personally, I am the Support Manager and would love to have the chance to try and resolve these issues before they go too far. We will always continue to do our best to reach an amicable resolution for all parties involved.

That said, it’s very important for Support to remain impartial – we will never take sides on an issue and I’m sorry if you felt that’s what has happened in this instance – I can guarantee you that if it came across that way, it was certainly not intended.

We are good people who just try and do the best for everyone within the scope of our abilities :-). If you’re an author that’s seriously being harassed by a user with unjust negative comments on your items, let Support know and we will delete them in a heartbeat, as Lance said – it’s spam, nasty spam. It’s just ratings that are the issue.

I completely agree with dimumurray, a disclaimer somewhere about author’s not being required to provide support would be fantastic, and would solve many issues.

Donchev I really hope you stick around, it would be a real shame to lose you over this.

Thanks guys! Jordan – Support Manager :-)

by
by
by
by
by
by