535 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
dimumurray says
I completely agree with dimumurray, a disclaimer somewhere about author’s not being required to provide support would be fantastic, and would solve many issues.
[Clears throat and stands atop makeshift pulpit]

In lieu of such ardent support of my disclaimer bill :) I would like to propose as an adjunct my Bounded Pricing reform Bill. As a member of the progressive author caucus, I propose that reviewer prices serve only as a lower-bound (fulfilling the no-undercut-pricing mandate) with the standard $40 upper-bound serving as a price-cap. This offers authors a modicum of control over pricing of their items reflecting estimates of individual effort and self-worth. Let me reassure buyers that they need not worry about bloated over-pricing as natural market forces borne of the spirit of competition will ultimately ensure fairly priced goods. At the same time investing authors with a measure of control currently lacking under the current system of pricing. Members of the FD Senate I implore you to support this bill or at the very least open the issue once again for debate.

:) Heh…what can I say…all this talk of reform (google Obama’s Healthcare Reform speach) has me fired up…Hope y’all had a good laugh (but if you think the discussion has merit we can open another thread and tackle it with a more serious bent)...I hope you don’t mind me pulling a Aw_Shucks and hijacking your post donchev_a…

*I am dimuMurray and I approve this message… * :D

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

^ Does the progressive author caucus have a union? I’m thinking of switching from the regressive author caucus. Unfortunately our caucus leaders are not very productive.

LeatherwingStudios
LeatherwingStudios Recent Posts Threads Started
563 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
LeatherwingStudios says
As Lance stated we simply cannot alter file ratings

“cannot” implies you do not have the means to do something while “will not” works where you can do it but for whatever reason choose not to! :)

in what circumstances would we just remove negative ratings when authors asked and who would make that decision?

I would say…this situation is a great example! and as to who makes the decision, why the same nice folks who decided the comments should be removed.

I know I sound snarky but I truly see very little difference in removing someone’s comments and removing their rating. in fact, your strict policy should be “we cannot remove comments without also removing rating (and vice-versa)”

38 posts
  • Located in India
7march says
First off, no matter what happens, I really hope you stick around. You’re a great author and a great community member. Yes, you’ve had a setback, but don’t let that keep you from becoming a top author. Regarding comments being posted on every file to discredit the author, that’s spam. Actually, worse in my opinion because it’s a lot more malicious than your typical spam. Like Ran said, two comments later people will forget, but it can still be detrimental, at least temporarily. Support is always happy to kill comments like that. If it’s just one or two comments, just flag them. If you’re getting harassed, just shoot me, Adrien, or Thinesh off an email and we’ll take care of it asap. It sounds like Thinesh has deleted all of yours, but if the buyer starts again, send me an email and I’ll take stronger actions. We’d never let the authors just get attacked unjustly without taking action. Authors are never required to give support. I like what 50tons said. If there’s a bug you’re ethically obligated to help. If it’s a small fix, you don’t need to help, but it’s nice. If it’s a customization, they should pay. It’s not uncommon for a buyer to complain to the author, not get anywhere, then complain to us. At that point we always investigate to see if the complaint is valid. A lot of times it is valid. If it’s not, we very clear about letting them know that support isn’t required. We never turn the buyer against the author just because “the customer is always right.” It wouldn’t be fair to them as they’d continue thinking they’d been cheated and it definitely wouldn’t be fair to the author. I’m sorry that support didn’t remove the rating. It sucks and it’s happened to all of us. Not too long ago ratings showed up before there were at least 3 votes. I have an especially painful story about a bad rating from those days, but I won’t share it here. :) The way the system is now, we can’t remove ratings. Buyers, just like authors, are a part of the community and whether they’re right or wrong are entitled to their opinion. We’re happy to remove rude and slanderous comments, but we can’t just remove every negative rating. If we did, the system would get manipulated and ratings would be even less relevant. That being said, there have been a lot of great discussions among the staff lately about how rating could be improved for both authors and buyers. I’m not sure what exactly is going to happen, but just know that it’s at least on the table. I love the idea dimumurray came up with about having a disclaimer. That would solve a lot of misunderstandings. Great idea!

Kudos to you….. Always a perfect judgement….why dont u clone yourself?FD needs tens of you in support :)

535 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
dimumurray says
^ Does the progressive author caucus have a union? I’m thinking of switching from the regressive author caucus. Unfortunately our caucus leaders are not very productive.
Well it does now! We need a representative to the FD Senate, you up for the job? ;)
1 post
  • Has referred 1+ members
+1 more
JelleDekker says

It’s unfortunate but these things happen, someone asked me to completely rewrite an AS3 file to AS2 because he didn’t use AS3 . I told the buyer that the description clearly said that it was an AS3 file and that if he wanted that changed he should ask someone who could do it for him. I wasn’t going to do that for free…

Day later my file got a bad rating, however no comment so not sure who did it. But I think it’s this person because other clients have never been angry with me, 2 of them actually offered me a freelance job afterwards because of the good customer support.

7604 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

maybe its the same guy :)

just hang in around on flashden with money in the pocket and after random purchase begin to “assault” the authors. Like a serial killer. in this case a serial flash item ratings killer. :D

Please, authors with sheriff badges, please help. Use your power to find the offender :D

660 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+1 more
donchev_a says
I am slightly concerned over the ways that you feel Support have dealt with the situation and I would like to clarify some things for yourself and other members. As Lance stated we simply cannot alter file ratings without asking our very busy, (think redesign), development team to actually go in and alter the rating code manually which is currently impractical for the removal of a single negative rating, this would also present other issues if we did indeed go ahead and change it,
first of all, you have to remove that BAD rating immediately. regardless who has to be involved. As you can remove Cyan’s all ratings from the Birthday bundle, you should be able to remove this single rating as well. She is not even an author. She doesn’t loose or earn any benefits by removing her rating. So please remove my Phaia’s bad rating now.
like in what circumstances would we just remove negative ratings when authors asked and who would make that decision?
Honestly I am not here to resolve all Envato’s issues. You need to have rules for that kind of circumstances. I am here to upload new files. Just imagine. I have to prepare very complex mp3 player and I am coming and asking the support: “how I have to deal with reading/writing complex XML file?” Sounds stupid, right?
It’s very important that people who purchase a file, regardless of how we feel about their motivations, get their chance to share their opinions like everyone else does, however, I’m not saying that the current system is perfect – far from it. No one is here to make that claim.
do you make a difference between – opinion and spam? And believe me there is not difference between SPAM comment and SPAM rating. Just same thing – SPAM .
Speaking on behalf of the whole Support team, I’d like to make it clear that both the team I work with and myself take our roles very seriously as we do Customer Service. If you ever feel that you have been legitimately wronged in any situation – be you an author, buyer, whatever, please contact Support in a ticket and ask for me personally, I am the Support Manager and would love to have the chance to try and resolve these issues before they go too far. We will always continue to do our best to reach an amicable resolution for all parties involved.

The above is telling me that you DID NOT READ , my emails nor the postings here. And not to be just argumentless I’ll post YOUR email here. If you guys want to ban me that’s fine , BUT you can not TALK to me like I am a bulshit. You’re saying one thing here and another in the e-mails:
Hi Angel,

I wish we could, but there is no functionality to do so – in addition this user does have the right to rate any file they have purchased as they want, regardless if we agree with their motivations for doing so or not. I’m sorry but in this instance I cannot remove the bad feedback.

Sincerest Regards, Jordan.
How you realize that the user has the right? If someone just by default has some rights it doesn’t mean that in extraordinary situation the rights are same. You guys need to think about this things. Yes the Customer has rights… but Who is customer, Who is SPAMMER …
That said, it’s very important for Support to remain impartial – we will never take sides on an issue and I’m sorry if you felt that’s what has happened in this instance – I can guarantee you that if it came across that way, it was certainly not intended.
for reference that YOU took his side look at the blockquote above:
this user does have the right to rate any file they have purchased as they want, regardless if we agree with their motivations for doing so or not.
This is ridiculous. It is not about to agree or disagree with a client or an author. It is about what’s right or wrong. It is not about a marriage or liking or disliking. It is about what’s appropriate, what is the best for Envato and the whole marketplace. This answer is very unprofessional.
We are good people who just try and do the best for everyone within the scope of our abilities . If you’re an author that’s seriously being harassed by a user with unjust negative comments on your items, let Support know and we will delete them in a heartbeat, as Lance said – it’s spam, nasty spam. It’s just ratings that are the issue.
See Jordan, nothing personal here. I do not know you and can not tell, what person you are. I am not saying anything bad about any person here. Even about the client. Just trying to have what I deserve in a fair way.

660 posts
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+1 more
donchev_a says

I just deleted it. will wait with this comment.

4908 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Angel,

I understand your frustrations, being a victim of some unjust low ratings myself. But I do not understand why you are taking this as a personal attack towards you and your business? Very confused here, you’ve been with us for a while, and have seen the little pitfalls that come from unhappy buyers (for whatever reason), and yet you got a bad rating, and because Envato will not remove the 1 rating, you’re getting frustrated.

I’m talking to you personally here, not as a manager, but as a friend. I think you are taking this a bit overboard. I get the frustration, I get how it could affect sales, I get all of it. But in the real world, on the internet, dealing with customers is always this way. If someone is unhappy they can do some stupid things, but thats life. You’ve never seen a person walk into a store and throw a fit because the lawn mower they just bought doesn’t make toast!? (of course I don’t mean that literally). Working in retail when I was younger, you’d be surprised how crazy some customers can be.

I worked in a toy store that was operating through the christmas season inside of a Sears. They didn’t have a toy department at the time so they wanted us to come in with our inventory so they can bring in more customers. I sold something to a woman, some stupid little toy for like 10 bucks. She came back 3 hours later FUMING ! she was upset because it didnt come with batteries. I pointed to the side of the box where it clearly states “batteries not included, requires 2 AA batteries”. And she demanded a refund for her troubles. According to our policy I couldn’t give her a refund. She lost it and went crazy. Literally stood outside of the store for 4 days, warning customers walking in that I was a bad person and that the store are made up of crooks. I went to the Sears manager, and they said…”nothing we can do, its her right to be unhappy”.

Thats pretty much how it went. And now in your case your unhappy because a buyer got unreasonably upset and rated your file bad. Envato is merely saying, that it was the customers opinion, and they cant remove the rating. This is not Envato taking the customers side, and being against you. Try to understand that. We all like you here, and want you to stay here. Its frustrating…I know. But there are plans to reform the rating system to help prevent mis-rating files for the wrong reason, in the works. Just hang in there buddy!

by
by
by
by
by
by