• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
+1 more
ponjoh says

Haha. I don’t want to sound rude, but have you ever visited the Wordpress Codex? :P Using Permalinks

Regarding the sidebar, check out Appearance > Widgets in the Wordpress back-end.

630 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
RobbyDesigns says

‘BobeGods’ – Grrarrr I’ll meet ya outside for a scrap pmsl . I know, I know, but I have read the stuff mate (and am now); truth is I’m a graphic designer trying to break into web design…maybe not such a good idea anyway.

4317 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Community Moderator
  • Venezuela
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
+9 more
Ivor Reviewer says
ha ha, guess I lost my rag there but I have to admit this WP is hardcore compared to coding static HTML /XHTML.

I am battling my way through it but need a little help, I figured out the url’s : http://robbydesigns.com/about but how come I cant get rid of all that mess on the right (BlogRoll, Categories, etc etc etc) Is it that I have simply bought a rubbish theme (not from Envato btw).

Maybe my idea of using WP for a web design portfolio isnt so good, maybe (like you guys said) it’s fine for Blogs.

?

Dude, c’mon Google is your best friend and WordPress Codex should be your Girlfriend

630 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
RobbyDesigns says

Ok, I’ve had a look at the tuts and they seem fair enough but it’s obvious I am not going to be able to do what I wanted which was to have some main pages then a little Blog. With that in mind I’m calling it a day (after 7hours) and converting to static HTML . In the future I’ll look to Joomla or something, I know you guys love WP but for me and the people I work for (who are average Joe’s NOT web designers) it’s too techy and good for Blogs only.

Thanks but no thanks. .

4317 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Community Moderator
  • Venezuela
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+9 more
Ivor Reviewer says
Ok, I’ve had a look at the tuts and they seem fair enough but it’s obvious I am not going to be able to do what I wanted which was to have some main pages then a little Blog. With that in mind I’m calling it a day (after 7hours) and converting to static HTML . In the future I’ll look to Joomla or something, I know you guys love WP but for me and the people I work for (who are average Joe’s NOT web designers) it’s too techy and good for Blogs only. Thanks but no thanks. .

“Blogs only” ? dude please think just 3 seconds, type google.com then search “WordPress as CMS ” and Voilá http://rubiqube.com/10-great-website-designs-using-wordpress-as-cms/

352 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+1 more
danharper says

WordPress is more than capabable of what you’re asking for. Look at my site – powered completely by WordPress.

In fact, if you’re a Nettuts Plus member, I have a six-part ‘Beginner to Master series’ on there which shows exactly how to make my site. $9 a month, and you get access to all the other *Tuts Plus sections as well.

630 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
RobbyDesigns says
WordPress is more than capabable of what you’re asking for. Look at my site – powered completely by WordPress.

Hmm, interesting to see you have made more than one page as ‘static’ which is exactly what I was trying to do before I started breaking things in my office. I’m guessing my control panel or the theme is at fault or, as I suspect, WP just isn’t user friendly.

I’m not a qualified Web Designer but I have edited templates and created graphics since 2004 so I’m guessing if I cant figure out WP then it’s unlikely my clients would be able to.

I’m sorry this seems to be getting everyone’s back up but the simple truth is that WordPress really isn’t that easy to use. Tuts or no Tuts, clients don’t want to have to learn hours and hours of stuff (and pay $9 month to do so) in order to update their website. I know I’m alienating myself here but wtf, it’s gotta be said.

352 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+1 more
danharper says

I completely disagree. WordPress for a user is simple.

However for a developer, I agree that when trying to break your theme outside of the traditional ‘blog’ mould, can be confusing and not at all developer-friendly in some places.

But for a client, writing posts, creating pages and working with the sidebars is very simple.

630 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
RobbyDesigns says
But for a client, writing posts, creating pages and working with the sidebars is very simple.

..Hmmm, not so for creating static pages though – how would you expect a Client to do this (write PHP code seems to be the only way to get a STATIC page out of WP, what a laugh):

http://tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/static/

415 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
osigrandi says

Hummm….but that link is probably outdated and getting a static page is actually very simple.

Make a page and a template for your blog…asign the template to the page and make a separate template that contains your homepage content. Don’t delete index.php

Then make a page and assign the homepage template to it…go to Settings > Reading and set your new page as static front page.

This literally takes only a few minutes. WP is easy…it’s you who’s doing something wrong :)

by
by
by
by
by
by