2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

It may just be that WP is too complex for what you are needing – I have many clients that want a static site but just a blog they can control. There are many VERY simple blog software out there – just create your static site and in the menu link to your blog install for the index page. Choose a really simple blog solution (I have used PIVOT in the past as it’s stupid simple for clients – login – click new entry – type and click publish – job done and it archives etc as a normal blog) – I use one of my content pages in html to use as the blog template – I just add the PHP tags into the page and assign that in the blog admin area.

I do understand your situation though, been there many times – clients don’t want an admin with “choices” and don’t want to see the rest of their site – best solution for this is to NOT make the entire site in a CMS but rather just add a blog using a simple solution.

Hope this helps you out. If you can’t find a blog solution that is simple enough, draw up some screens of the admin and front end and comment it – then look for a dev to code it for you so it’s exactly what you need – doesn’t cost the earth at all, and the client gets exactly what they want. If you need the details of a programming team I have used for years and years I can give to you – they could dev-up your own solution in about a day or so.

352 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
danharper says
But for a client, writing posts, creating pages and working with the sidebars is very simple.

..Hmmm, not so for creating static pages though – how would you expect a Client to do this (write PHP code seems to be the only way to get a STATIC page out of WP, what a laugh):

http://tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/static/

WordPress has included support for static pages since version 1.5 (as it states in the big red box on that page).

From your Dashboard, click ‘Pages’ on the left. http://imgur.com/TNDoU.png

6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
bobegods says

jonathan01, just wanted to say that I love the logo in your avatar. Simple but cool.

631 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
RobbyDesigns says
Make a page and a template for your blog…asign the template to the page and make a separate template that contains your homepage content. Don’t delete index.php Then make a page and assign the homepage template to it…go to Settings > Reading and set your new page as static front page. This literally takes only a few minutes. WP is easy…it’s you who’s doing something wrong :)

Hold On! I think you are all misunderstanding me so I guess the easiest way will be to show pictures, please take a look:

3dac1kvsmkiaxe7lkwl.jpg

What I mean by ‘Static Page’ is a page without all that stuff (BlogRoll etc etc etc etc ) on the right.

352 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
danharper says

If you don’t want the sidebar on pages, then remove it from the ‘page.php’ in your theme folder:

get_sidebar();
6 posts
bobegods says

Robby, you just want to create additional pages (like the ones of my website)?

http://rethinkmonthly.com

(Which, by the way, was done completely by WordPress). I, too, started as a graphic designer but have found WP to be extremely easy to use.

To create another page, log in to your admin site > on the left click on the arrow next to “Pages” to drop down the menu. From there, you will see “Add New” ... This will take you to your new, static page. After that, you should be able to figure it out from there.

I’d also recommend reading through those tutorials, again. :)

6 posts
bobegods says

My reply was a little late. Woohoo, congrats on the new page.

Do what Dan suggests. Your life might be easier.

225 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
chilly_orange says

This thread is an extremely funny read in the early morning!

631 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
RobbyDesigns says

Well, we all had a laugh at how dim I am and I learnt something after 14hours – WordPress is not user friendly. There, I said it. I still hate it and that’s the end of the story.

There is no way of having static pages (pages without all the sidebar stuff) and also a Blog unless you create static HTML pages and then link to WP as your Blog. Cutting out the ‘get_sidebar();’ just results in the loss of siodebar to all pages which looks great for the statics but useless for the Blog part.

The only way for me to have static pages is to translate WP to HTML , in that case I may as well just make the whole thing HTML . . just wish I’d given up 14hours ago before I kicked my PC across the room.

Thanks everyone for your help but WP is just not for me or my clients as we do not need such a complicated, unfriendly CMS .

-- The End.

Producer: Steven Speal-berg
Director: ThemeForest
Co-Starring: jonathan01, bobegods and more
Filmed In: Super Pi??edOffVison

Look out for part 2 : ‘Why I Hate Joomla’......

225 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
chilly_orange says

It’s funny how people tend to confuse their own incompetence, laziness, stupidity, etc (not talking about the original poster per se) with external factors.

It’s not Wordpress that’s wrong, its your attitude towards it. If you would just let go of your all wrong assumptions, clear your mind and listen to some advice that has been given out here, you would have no problems getting your stuff done.

by
by
by
by
by
by