415 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
osigrandi says

Check this:

http://themeforest.net/item/octofirst-business-portfolio-wordpress-4-in-1/full_screen_preview/54751

I can assure you I’m not load the sidebar file on the homepage, but only in the rest of the pages. It was very easy to accomplish this.

I think your problem is actually with php…you probably don’t really understand how everything works together, how to use include(), or require() and so on.

630 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
RobbyDesigns says

Yeh it’s lovely seeing that everybody else can do it but I cant. It’s just too complicated and I don’t think a lot of people who commented even know what I was trying to accomplish. That said I gave up.

It’s not always about ‘blame’ – sometimes things are just over-complicated and not worth the hassle of 14hours and smashing up a PC.

):

2952 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says
Yeh it’s lovely seeing that everybody else can do it but I cant. It’s just too complicated and I don’t think a lot of people who commented even know what I was trying to accomplish. That said I gave up.

It’s not always about ‘blame’ – sometimes things are just over-complicated and not worth the hassle of 14hours and smashing up a PC.

):

Oh god ..

You really tought you would have understand all WP in 14 hours ?.. So if you can’t do a static page without a sidebar ( or without taking it off all pages ) It’s WP’s fault ? .. You really think we all going to say : Hey man , you are right , WP suck ! ..

If you want to learn WP .. there is ton of tutorials and E-book ( How to be a rockstar wordpress designer )

Don’t whine here because of your lack of knowledge.

And please stop talking about the PC you smashed , make you look like a little child.

630 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+2 more
RobbyDesigns says
Oh god .. You really tought you would have understand all WP in 14 hours ?.. So if you can’t do a static page without a sidebar ( or without taking it off all pages ) It’s WP’s fault ? .. You really think we all going to say : Hey man , you are right , WP suck ! .. ..Don’t whine here because of your lack of knowledge. And please stop talking about the PC you smashed , make you look like a little child.

Sorry if I don’t measure up to your massive skills but you didn’t have to read my posts.

I dislike WP simply because it is not possible to have a few pages with no sidebar then ‘one’ page with the sidebar which would be the parent of my Blog. I can’t explain it any more simply than that.

You’ll be happy to know I gave up on Wordpress and am coding it to XHTML .

Thanks to everyone who tried to help; I did read the Tuts but it’s 5am here in the UK and I give up. I tried WP and it’s not for me. .

4323 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says
Oh god .. You really tought you would have understand all WP in 14 hours ?.. So if you can’t do a static page without a sidebar ( or without taking it off all pages ) It’s WP’s fault ? .. You really think we all going to say : Hey man , you are right , WP suck ! .. ..Don’t whine here because of your lack of knowledge. And please stop talking about the PC you smashed , make you look like a little child.

Sorry if I don’t measure up to your massive skills but you didn’t have to read my posts.

I dislike WP simply because it is not possible to have a few pages with no sidebar then ‘one’ page with the sidebar which would be the parent of my Blog. I can’t explain it any more simply than that.

You’ll be happy to know I gave up on Wordpress and am coding it to XHTML .

Thanks to everyone who tried to help; I did read the Tuts but it’s 5am here in the UK and I give up. I tried WP and it’s not for me. .

I don’t want to sound rude dude but you are SOOOO Wrong, if you don’t like WordPress that’s fine, but don’t say things that isn’t true or you haven’t tested.

I dislike WP simply because it is not possible to have a few pages with no sidebar then ‘one’ page with the sidebar which would be the parent of my Blog.

Whaaaat? OMG

162 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
ponjoh says

Dude, I’ll give you a hand.

1. Make a copy of page.php and call it no-sidebar-page.php (or whatever).
  2. Open no-sidebar-page.php and paste this code in the top of the document, above everything else.
  3. Now delete get_sidebar() from no-sidebar-page.php.
  4. Upload everything
  5. Log in to Wordpress and edit the page you want. In the box called “Attributes” you can pick a template for the page. Pick “Page without sidebar”

Now the sidebar is gone from that page, and every page that has that template. You might have to change the column’s width now that the sidebar is gone, but that’s simply editing the HTML and CSS in no-sidebar-page.php

It is the page templates that makes Wordpress amazingly good for a CMS as well. I think it would be sad if you wrote off Wordpress after only 14h and a failed attempt.

4323 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says
Dude, I’ll give you a hand.
  1. Make a copy of page.php and call it no-sidebar-page.php (or whatever).
  2. Open no-sidebar-page.php and paste this code in the top of the document, above everything else.
  3. Now delete get_sidebar() from no-sidebar-page.php.
  4. Upload everything
  5. Log in to Wordpress and edit the page you want. In the box called “Attributes” you can pick a template for the page. Pick “Page without sidebar”

Now the sidebar is gone from that page, and every page that has that template. You might have to change the column’s width now that the sidebar is gone, but that’s simply editing the HTML and CSS in no-sidebar-page.php

It is the page templates that makes Wordpress amazingly good for a CMS as well. I think it would be sad if you wrote off Wordpress after only 14h and a failed attempt.

+20

12 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
rochow says

The URL format only allows rubbish url’s like above or date/time NOT proper url’s like /about-me.html or alike.

Yes it does, extremely easily.

Yes it can, extremely easily.

Yeh it’s lovely seeing that everybody else can do it but I cant.

Crazy, insane, out there idea: pay someone who actually knows WP.

160 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
celshader says
I completely disagree. WordPress for a user is simple.

However for a developer, I agree that when trying to break your theme outside of the traditional ‘blog’ mould, can be confusing and not at all developer-friendly in some places.

But for a client, writing posts, creating pages and working with the sidebars is very simple.

Agreed. That why I am sticking to Joomla for now. Wordpress is the best blog but trying to turn it into a general CMS is a bit pointless.

623 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

Every request that was made here was already shown in a themeforest template. Permalinks, page templates with or without blogroll, with or without static page, static front page, blog page etc etc etc

You can do pretty much everything you can imagine with wordpress. You could even create a clone of the apple.com site in wordpress (although it would probably go down within minutes since wordpress needs a lot server memory, but thats not the point here ^^) So some things are easier than others but the things talked about here are rather easy IF you are willing to invest some time. 14 hours is nothing. REALLY NOTHING ;D

If everyone could learn wordpress in 14 hours you wouldnt need people to develop templates and themeforest was probably not existant =)

To get to understand how simple wordpress templates really are you might want to try another CMS and see that those are 10 times harder to master. drupal, typo3 etc (i ve seen people who wasnt able to get a working installation after 14 hours of typo, let alone create a template )

So i would recommend to grab some top notch tutorials from themeforest blog, nettuts or smashingmagazin, read them, work with them for a week or two and you will see you can master the basics pretty fast.

And if you, the developer, prepares it correctly it is also the easiest cms to use for your customer. I ve worked with custoemrs in wordpress, joomla, typo3, drupal and expressionengine.

Showing the customer how to use wordpress always took the least effort. In fact I am sure even a drunken monkey could use wordpress ;D

PS: heres an advice if you are having discussions about wordpress: never say it sucks because X it is not possible. Believe me, it IS possible =)

by
by
by
by
by
by