736 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Won a competition
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
TimMcMorris says

I know there is huge back-log of marketplace suggestions – however I don’t think that should stop us from continuing to give them, so here I go!

“Exclusivity choice per item” has been touched on before, but I am worried that it was really wasn’t given careful enough consideration…. which is why I am bringing it back up.

As the marketplace grows and gets more complicated, it makes more and more sense to me to allow authors to manage an item’s status within one account rather than having two different accounts to manage all of their work.

Firstly, having two accounts simply confuses buyers – especially when you are linking back and forth across two portfolios.

Then there’s the issue of promotion / marketing and followers. If you have two accounts, you are literally having to duplicate all the work efforts and branding while pointing customers in two directions.

I understand that a major issue from Envato’s point of view is authors switching items back and forth all the time. The argument is that this will complicate things too much as some try to manage items on multiple non-Envato marketplaces.

I believe this issue can simply be solved by having a mandatory waiting period, or “buffer” between switching an item’s status. For example, when switching an item from non-exclusive to exclusive, there is a 1 month period before it takes effect…or whatever Envato determines. If an item’s status has already been changed once before, the buffer time doubles. So now, to go back to exclusive you have to wait 2 months. Maybe not exactly this, but simply something to discourage flipping the status of a file like a lightswitch.

Another example is if you were already exclusive, lets say at the full 70% went to non-exclusive at 33% and then came back to exclusive, that item returns at 65% now.

I don’t want to focus so much on the deterrents to stop people from switching however as I really think that won’t be a huge issue. I think that authors would simply love to be able to choose differently for each item on upload.

Right now managing two accounts is time consuming….imagine in 5 years! Then there will be (as an example) 15 million users on Envato and 50% of authors having two accounts doubling the resources needed to keep track of all these different accounts… Think of all the other future problems that this could create.

If I had it my way, I would love to merge my N.E account’s files into my E. account and manage everything from one account. Also doing this now while not too many exist will be much easier then later down the road.

How do you guys feel about this? Is being able to choose exclusive or non-exclusive per item a good idea? Bad idea?

370 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
RightHere says

100% agree – with the option to choose exclusivity per item and not only per account – I’ve asked about this many times, but it doesn’t seam like it is going to be prioritized any time soon.

287 posts
  • Won a competition
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 100+ members
+9 more
DPereyra says

+1

100% agree with you.

17 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
Plastic3_NE says

+1 Completely agree with you, Tim..We talked about this many times, but Envato does not react to these things yet..

847 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
gbiasillo says

+1 from me as well.

5565 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

With how many of our authors work with different mediums and crossover to other Marketplaces, it does make a lot of sense.

285 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+7 more
DarkSunz says

+1 I completely agree. I mean to be honest, it doesn’t change anything for the consumer, they still get the same great, quality content. Also, it makes for better management for authors and simpler for buyers. I always been up for this. Now we just gotta wait till it gets implemented.

1621 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
cyzer says

+1

301 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Reachground says

Good idea Tim. Although I will add that I suggest that they remove the exclusivity all together. Never liked it.

[Insert rage here]

485 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
omarabid says

Good idea Tim. Although I will add that I suggest that they remove the exclusivity all together. Never liked it. [Insert rage here]

means we get only 25% not fun :confused:

by
by
by
by
by
by