115 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
mKrukowski says

+1

1432 posts Determined to give you nothing but the best!
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
mrcharlesbrown says

Good idea but things will be a lot more complicated if there should be ‘Exclusivity Choice Per Item’.

Check this out: Let say that one of my instrumentals is exclusively sold here and after 3 months I decided to change it to non-exclusive in order to also sell it someplace else. And after another 3 months, I will switch it back to exclusive. Trust me, many authors will keep their items exclusive here but also sell it someplace else and with the amount of new authors coming in every day it will be certainly DIFFICULT to track down items that are exclusive here but also available on competitor sites.

Your idea is good but many will take advantage of it in a wrong way.

It would be better to select the exclusivity option only once before it goes live on author’s portfolio but if the ‘exclusive and non-exclusive free switch’ is available many will abuse/exploit it.
This can be solved in another way. Choise the “Exclusivity” when you upload an item and once it’s approved this option must be disabled automaticaly. So, you can choose the “Exclusivity” for a specfic item only one time. ;)

Brilliant… like I said, “One time choice,” in order to avoid exploitation.

65 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Kenaudio says

You are right!

I just wondered while building up my profile why I can’t choose per item if it should be exclusive or not. And also I would like to set the license for every single item and not in general….

282 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
MartinProUser says

+1 agree

1620 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
PatrikL Envato team says

I agree with you Tim. It sure would be a useful feature and as Travis says, it does makes a lot of sense. This is something I’d personally would love to see introduced in the future :)

779 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+1 more
StudioEtude says

I agree with Tim, but I think that the author must first solve the track is exclusive or not, and does not switch every time, even more so with the expectation of 1-2 months.

933 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
jhunger says

Absolutely 1000% agree with Tim, and I’ve brought this up before a couple of times. I would absolutely post exclusive songs under my JHunger account if given the option. Even if per-item exclusivity were not an option for infrastructure reasons, I would be interested in exclusivity going forward from a particular date if that were more feasable. Controls could be put around switching back and forth between exclusive and non-exclusive so that it’s not abused.

Starting a new profile is a maintenance issue (especially since captchas seem required for login now), and you completely lose all anything you’ve built up over time on your original profile.

243 posts
  • Located in United States
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Won a competition
+5 more
deiby says

I’d prefer something that was somewhat flexible instead of “one time only” myself. Seems reasonable to take the current method and make it per item.

We don’t always make the best choices at first, or even on second choices, and sometimes we need to adapt, try things, or change things down the line.

Choosing on initial upload sounds good but also something like a per item counter that resets every month or few months. Rough example… 2 switches per item every 3 months. Maybe a 10 lifetime cap per item and then you need support to reset the counter like you do downloads if for whatever reason it was a legit use. Most of us would never notice the limits but have some flexibility to work with while still making it harder to really abuse.

Also, I don’t know how the backend works but I assume changes to accounts are possible in some way. Maybe offer a limited time window of opportunity to “merge accounts” for those who had multiple accounts due to this issue.

Just some thoughts :)

by
by
by
by
by
by