8 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in France
wiicker95 says

First of all, hello, this is my first post in forums and I just signed up as an exclusive author.

I’ve been browsing some highly priced templates here in order to grasp what is offered here and what do the users like the most when it comes to web templates, something I may end up uploading and selling in future. This, and also to see how should the latter be formed and to what extent all the new, redundant technologies, such as html5 and all the lousy frameworks that usually come with it, such as bootstrap and various grid systems.

What I realized is that whenever I saw an example from a portfolio of the “Top Authors”, I could see some bloated, endless javascript for Christmas know what reason, unneeded frameworks that just slow the eventual website down, and the markup was bad to that point that if I were to rewrite it on the spot, using “real doctypes” aka XHTML 1.0 Strict and HTML 4 Strict, it would have taken not more than a fourth of the markup and, say, a tenth of javascipt and CSS! And all that under the “top notch” label of html5, of course.

Therefore, I would like to ask why are such practices, that me and a good number of my fellow colleagues loathe so much, so valued here, both by buyers and sellers?

Thanks in advance

P.S. : HALT to half-assed answers such as “so we can use css3”, since it has nothing to do with html5 in the first place (believe it or not, some ignorant people assimilate css3 to html5) or “because it’s the future”, since it looks like the worst of 1998 IMHO, with the good old HTML 3.2 (nothing good about it).

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

Hm, wait! Why would you want to write for the old doctypes anymore?! That stuff is, like, ancient! :D

8 posts
  • Located in France
wiicker95 says

Hm, wait! Why would you want to write for the old doctypes anymore?! That stuff is, like, ancient! :D

Again, I’m not questioning the fact that it represents “the future”, which it isn’t (unfortunately it is), or that the strict doctypes I mentioned are “old”, which they aren’t.

Why would any sane person blow 100s of kb’s of CSS and javascript if the same outcome can be achieved with the proper use of the media LINK attribute?

If you all want to, I can elaborate why every single new html5 tag is useless and redundant, but that is not my point here.

952 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
aleluja says

Because we want our items to be actual for the longer period. You must consider time, not only website, when you are talking about items on a marketplace.

61 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+3 more
RafalBorowski says

Well… I can drive on a vacation with a 10 year old volvo, but if I could I would rather go on my vacation in a Dodge, Shelby or Ferrari. 10 years ago I had my first cell. I could make calls with it and send SMS. Now I have a new one – it still rings, still sends SMS but it can also log into my bank account for example, and probably in a few years I will have a new one that will make pancakes and wash dishes for me ;)

It’s the same with markup. HTML5 is cleaner, slicker and more powerfull. It’s 2013! It’s not about moving text anymore (ahhh that beloved <marquee>). It’s about Geolocation, data-manipulation, semantics, native A/V support etc. Hope you get my point.

But hey… welcome to Themeforest. If you can make it with HTML4 why not… go ahead and GLWS.

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

There is lots to discuss – let’s just focus one thing: why do you need “strict” docktypes? That was just clutter and made you think about 9843735 structures, when people only needed just one. HTML.
Note there is no “5” anywhere in the new structure… it’s just html!

I’m not sure I understand… Where was only the link attribute needed?

8 posts
  • Located in France
wiicker95 says

It’s the same with markup. HTML5 is cleaner, slicker and more powerfull. It’s 2013! It’s not about moving text anymore (ahhh that beloverd <marquee>). It’s about Geolocation, data-manipulation, semantics, native A/V support etc. Hope you get my point.

But hey… welcome to Themeforest. If you can make it with HTML4 why not… go ahead and GLWS.

There is absolutely nothing cleaner in HTML5, it only gets dirtier.

HTML is, as you know, a markup declaratory language, and as such, presentation has no business in it. Therefore, the tags like ASIDE or FOOTER have nothing to do in html, that is presentation. This is exactly the reason why html4 deprecated all the lousy inline presentational attributes, and we see it again with html5. NAV, well it’s just there to justify the sloppy practice that consists of slaping a DIV around an unordered list for the navbar, which didn’t make any sense anyway—UL is perfectly fine as it is, it is a block-level element, and so on.

<marquee> ? No sane person out there would ever think about using that, not only presentational, but utterly annoying tag, rubbish in terms of accessibility. But wait, why are you talking about marquee here? It doesn’t even EXIST to begin with in the strict specs.

Just seeing all the works here makes me go :

these guys must go a lot “WCAG, what the heck is that?”

Anyways, thank you for your warm welcome, and again, I’m not questioning it in terms of modernity. I just want to know if I stand a chance not using html5. God, I would like html6 to come out (or html5.1) and to deprecate every single redundant garbage html5 created.

61 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+3 more
RafalBorowski says
HTML is, as you know, a markup declaratory language, and as such, presentation has no business in it. Therefore, the tags like ASIDE or FOOTER have nothing to do in html

Tell that to SEO engines :)

3806 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
+1 more
charlie4282 says

Temporarily moving away from the technical side of this – aleluja has it right we need to remember that this is a marketplace and not a one off site.

There are a lot of people who buy sites here who are “less technically able” and with that in mind files need to be as simple as possible and any proper marketplace moves with technology and industry changes.

I appreciate you understand it is partly about modernity and but I would doubt if your file is good enough and well coded that TF would reject it just for not being HTML5

8 posts
  • Located in France
wiicker95 says

Temporarily moving away from the technical side of this – aleluja has it right we need to remember that this is a marketplace and not a one off site.

There are a lot of people who buy sites here who are “less technically able” and with that in mind files need to be as simple as possible and any proper marketplace moves with technology and industry changes.

I appreciate you understand it is partly about modernity and but I would doubt if your file is good enough and well coded that TF would reject it just for not being HTML5

And there goes one useful post. Thank you, I will give it a shot. I always cared about semantics, separation of presentation from content, graceful degradation and accessibility anyway, so it should go well.

If it does not, it just isn’t meant to be.

by
by
by
by
by
by