• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
kevinsturf says

I don’t know if anyone noticed or posted this before. But I wanted to know, why does Envato take so much from us when selling items.

I mean look at that day with the bundle…Wasn’t it like over 100k$ or something like that they made..And I know the redesign of the whole marketplace cost them a lot.

Just letting you guys know, I’m just expressing my feelings, so there is no misconception. Plus on top of that they must make a bundle from the tutsplus network.

And I’m talking about after they pay off the staff, hosting for amazon etc..

I say they should dedicate a week or something like that where all authors make 70%. I mean Envato wouldn’t be as successful like this without it’s “people”. Another thought, I know they do a lot of giveaways, but since they are probably hundreds of thousands of people that use envato, to win one of those giveaways (the ones where you just tweet or so, maybe the ones that you have to do work or so) it’s like you being a needle in the hay stack.

Thoughts?

8112 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

they take so much because they can. They are leading in this “market” and provide a service, you have to pay for that service.

If you make a reputable and successful service you should make good money from it and so I have no complaints to be honest…

faevilangel_designs
faevilangel_designs Recent Posts
Threads Started
83 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
faevilangel_designs says

If you don’t like it …........ go elsewhere

everyone complains about the cost of using sites, but still want the exposure they give.

eBay get this everytime they up their prices but where else can you get the amount of sales ?

Envato need to make money (they are a business), and they don’t hide the fact that you get a certain %age of the price.

and by envato having giveaways on their networks, means they can give something back to those who have helped the sites grow.

I have been reading the tuts network for ages but only just saw this site, it’s a two way thing, you help them by publishing work, but your also exposing (not that kind) to thounsands of people to buy your products

8112 posts Community Moderator
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says
If you don’t like it …........ go elsewhere everyone complains about the cost of using sites, but still want the exposure they give.

+1

538 posts Themes and Graphics
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+4 more
Bebel says

they also spent thousands on advertising – and that’s what helps us (the seller) to make money. there are other places like flashden etc. but you can’t sell s* over there cause they have so few visitors.

3 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
miles-ws says

Come on this is an amazing site (even more so with the redesign) as Bebel said they spend a ton on advertising and have thousands of frequent customers.

2715 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+3 more
DanielKeller says

its the best place in the web for me…. and we can be lucky to be a part of it, lucky to have that oppurtunity….. I thank envato for that, they rock :D

478 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
kevinsturf says

thanks for the thought in this, just wanted to know and no I will be staying here because of the good service and community they got here. :)

2952 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

Honnestly , I have nothing against the fact that they take a big % because I began to understand the philosophy of Collis and Cyan and I am sure they inject a lot of money in their buisness , wich is really good for us.

We should thanks guys like DigitalScience , Kriesi and Epicera (and a lot more author) for all the money they generate.

My advice : Work like crazy , make good stuff , build your client bank and in 2-3 years you will have your 70%

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

A lot of people see the 60% they take for new authors and automatically assume they’re raking in the money. While I have no factual proof or anything, I would bet Envato spends a large amount of that paying staff, bills (they do have a headquarters and buildings cost a lot), advertising, upgrades, etc. It adds up really, really quick and I would imagine the list of expenses is actually pretty long.

In the end, maybe the company itself is only getting 10% of that original 60% (I have no clue, just a wild guess). While 10% of everyone’s sales actually amounts to a lot of money, they’re also some of the hardest working and dedicated people around and completely deserve every penny of it.

Plus, as authors become more successful, Envato makes less per sale.

My opinion is that for the opportunities you can get from everything Envato has to offer, we’re getting the best deal around. Envato is also incredibly good to everyone that works with them which is one reason why all of their staff defends them so intensely sometimes. :-)

by
by
by
by
by
by