59 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
curtisschweitzer says

I enjoyed the overall feel of the track, but I’d make the following suggestions:

1. Can you increase the overall depth and complexity of the track by adding any more instruments? At any given moment, I hear about 3 things happening: the (already critiqued) repetitive beat, the piano line, and the synth pad. Sometimes you have that nice string bit that livens things up, but I don’t know if that’s enough. Even something as simple as doubling that synth pad with a different pad to increase the tone color complexity of the overall sound might go really far in making this a higher quality track. Combining this with a less repetitive beat could work wonders.

2. The piano line is nice, but it “wanders” a bit. Maybe try to tighten up that melody so that it has a more obvious beginning, middle and end? (I’d avoid using this many repeated notes, for instance). With how much that repeats, it really is important to ensure that it makes aural sense, something that I’m not sure it quite accomplishes yet. Along the same lines, this piano line is really dry, which makes it feel “cheap”—maybe some reverb, and more importantly some pedaling, could make it sound more realistic.

3. In addition to (2), maybe trying echoing the piano melody on a similar instrument sometimes? By having a call-response pattern, you can do a lot in adding more interesting aural complexity.

4. I’d recommend just dropping the vinyl effect. AJ reviewers always look at a track from the perspective of a potential buyer, and while I (and others above) think this effect works, it does constrain the piece greatly, and takes a ton of flexibility away from potential editors. As others have said, let the customer decide whether or not they want the piece to have this kind of effect, rather than forcing it. (Same goes for the siren—don’t force it in, let an editor add it if it makes sense).

5. I don’t know if this track really “tells a story”- that is, although it evolves simply over time, taken in its entirety, it doesn’t really have an obvious beginning, middle, and end. Even in my ambient tracks, I always try to have some sort of overall structure that is obvious on the first listen. An easy way to accomplish this is through the addition and subtraction of timbres to give the overall track more complexity to the ear. Another important factor here is the simple fact that the track doesn’t really have an “ending” per se—it just kind of stops. Per my advice in (4), note how this takes options away from customers instead of adding to it. (If they want to fade out a track, they can—but without any real musical ending, if they want to punctuate something using the end of your music, they can’t).

Overall, I really like the track, though, and with a few minor improvements, I can see it getting approved for sale.

3 posts
  • Exclusive Author
D-SHINE says

Hi to all of you again. Thanks for all the great feedback and suggestions for my track i a appreciate that a lot. If i have to be honest in the begging i was a little discouraged,but thanks to your suggestions i decided its better to work on this track rather then start a brand new project ,this way i will have the chance to improve my work and answer the needed requirements from the reviewers. Thanks to all of your useful information from here i will do these improvements on the track

1. I will not change the track dramatically, because there’s a possibility this can change the track for worse.

2 . i will remove the unnecessary elements- the siren, the vinyl effect ,and etc etc.

3.i will work on the snare-on the compression, and EQ and maybe reverb.

4.i will try to also to fresh up the so mentioned “repetitive beat” :)

5.i will work also on the piano line and and some new elements to it, i will also work on the distortion to change it a little and maybe put some reverb.

6.And i can always experiment and add some bass to the beat.

Thanks again to all of you, in future i will write back if i get approved. :)

Wish me luck

806 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Art-of-Sound says

2 . i will remove the unnecessary elements- the siren, the vinyl effect ,and etc etc.
3.i will work on the snare-on the compression, and EQ and maybe reverb.
4.i will try to also to fresh up the so mentioned “repetitive beat” :)
5.i will work also on the piano line and and some new elements to it, i will also work on the
distortion to change it a little and maybe put some reverb.

You can do all that but it still won’t solve the main problem, which is not the arrangement but the quality of your samples. I don’t know what you use but it has a horrible quality, like a MID file. The composition itself is okay. It’s quite primitive, but for hip hop it should do it. What you need is decent sound libraries. With your current sounds the most exquisite composition would sound like shite, pardon my French. Lo-fi and low quality are not the same.

1420 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Norway
Mihai_Sorohan says

Sound libraries or VSTi that might help the piano:
Precisionsound Amore Grand Piano – a free piano library for Kontakt sampler.
XLN Audio Studio Grand Free – the smaller version on Addictive Piano.
4Front Piano – a single instrument VSTi with no controls but a quite decent sound.
MDA Piano by MDA VST – a small, easy on CPU decent sounding VSTi.
Maestro Concert Grand – a really good piano library that works well in Linux Sampler (which has a Windows version as well).
Mildon Acoustic Piano – a cheap but ok SFZ library.
Those would be the free or cheap solutions for a decent piano sound.
For the snare, don’t drown it in reverb, put a gate after reverb or load a gated reverb setting if you have one, or you can sidechain the dry/wet knob to rest of the drums, so it will get dry when the kick or next snare gets in.
You can also try to put the effects on a send channel and fool around with a filter on the send before the reverb, so you’ll get a filtered reverb that doesn’t take the space from the instrument. You can play with dry/wet settings as the track progress, so you’ll have a sense of direction…

curtisschweitzer
curtisschweitzer Recent Posts
Threads Started
59 posts
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
curtisschweitzer says

Thanks again to all of you, in future i will write back if i get approved. :)

Wish me luck

Good luck!

198 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
adammonroe says

For the snare, don’t drown it in reverb, put a gate after reverb or load a gated reverb setting if you have one,
The Ol’ PHIL COLLINS SNARE ?
468 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
FlossieWood says

Hi, You’ve already had some really good suggestions!

Don’t question your ability anyway I would say there are just a few minor things to do and then this will be good to go! I think musically it is good I don’t mind the piano sample you have used either – it’s not meant to sound like a grand piano I don’t think – more atmospheric??! I am a pianist and I like it!

I would redo the cello to make it smoother (a legato feel) I think a little reverb would help with that too and it is a little too loud as well.
I would make the drums slightly quieter in the mix, they are a little loud at the moment

Good luck! x

by
by
by
by
by
by