• Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+4 more
flashedge says

You must have plenty of time to waste if you’re serious about doing spec work. Even if you’re a rookie it’s just a win win for the client who has free stuff to pickup and can even steal your ideas without paying you anything.

308 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
BrianCoyDesign says
xstortionist said
Not sure what you guys consider spec work, but at my last job (3 months ago) we would create spec work all the time for new business pitches and quarterly advertising plans for our clients (over 500 automotive dealerships).

It never hurt out business, it helped the company keep the clients that they had and when we did pitches we would always have the best creative out of the other competition.

Spec work is king when it comes to running a successful advertising business.

My last company we did spec work as well in order to sell the concepts to client leads. We increased sales well over 1 million doing it. We never left specs with clients.

The key is the purpose for spec. is it because a client asks for it? Or are you using it to increase business?

1. If a client asks for spec work, that’s fine if there is payment and documentation showing whom owns the work, limitations and the like.

2. Client who wants spec to see if they will give you the work and you’ve never worked with them before… Forget it.

3. Spec work to gain new business… Absolutely

4140 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
tsafi says
pezflash said
but of course if you have nothing else, at least is a business opportunity.

In your home corner where you throw your garbage, that’s the place you will find me with the Spaniard local cats eating at night from your garbage,this is the extreme measure i am willing to take before i will work for free pez …. (but it will ever happened :P )

3747 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says
tsafi said
pezflash said
In your home corner where you throw your garbage, that’s the place you will find me with the Spaniard local cats eating at night from your garbage,this is the extreme measure i am willing to take before i will work for free pez …. (but it will ever happened :P )

Sounds promising. In that case i’ll hire you as my personal AS3 coder. You will work for food. Will be fun. Don’t worry, the spaniard local cats are quite friendly. ;)

3085 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
Raincutter says

It’s fantastic to see so many responses here peeps. I’m glad that most of us are against spec work. For newbies in this field, it’s a little hard to understand the evil because I personally have seen so many get carried away just because of the large sums of money promised. They do not consider understanding how things work and when they finally understand it, it’s usually a bit late. Anyways, the more people know about it, the better.

4140 posts
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
tsafi says
pezflash said
tsafi said
pezflash said
i’ll hire you as my personal AS3 coder.

I don’t think you can afford me :P

3 more weeks before i am off to Spain again Pez, but you know i am way off from you.

3747 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says
tsafi said
3 more weeks before i am off to Spain again Pez, but you know i am way off from you.

I know you prefer the islands, lonely man. But if have some hours to spend in Madrid between flights knock my inbox to share a beer. ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by