1001 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+7 more
baf2681 Envato team says

HAH ! You can UN-RAR?!? (sounds odd) a file on a MAC with some basic freeware. ZIP is solid and proven so that is why we stick with it. Accepting to many formats really complicates things for buyers.

2354 posts Small, but tough
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

HAH ! You can UN-RAR?!? (sounds odd) a file on a MAC with some basic freeware. ZIP is solid and proven so that is why we stick with it. Accepting to many formats really complicates things for buyers.

Thanks for info. Any idea why filezilla sometimes stucks at the end of upload with big files?

1001 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Member of the Envato Team
+7 more
baf2681 Envato team says

Not to sure about filezilla, I actually use Transmit FTP .

4 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Macedonia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
Quadrivium says

The benefit of RAR is that You can create solid archive that helps a lot with this kind of work. 30mb file > 27mb file with best quality ZIP, 30mb file > 400kb file with best quality rar + solid archive..

1559 posts AEdorde.com - After Effects Projects
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1000+ members
+9 more
dorde says

Some buyers don’t know anything about compression. Windows can extract zip file without need to install any archiver. I dont know for mac, but win can. That’s why zip is better choice.
I’m always using zip for transfer large files, the benefit is that client dont need to install anything, and I can extract/compress files through cpanel without installing any scripts for rar support.
I’m using rar for my stuffs and when I’m sending something to my friends who are not noobs.
Rar is also good to compress huge files into smaller parts. For VH files (up to 1gb) zip is fine.

1567 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
AndrVlad says

zip is very common standard compression format.

As for file sizes, EFEKT_Studio, how it happend that you have so big difference 300mb for rar and 500 mb for zip. Are you including any not compressed assets?

I just did small experiment and I try to compress my AE project with included compressed audio and video assets (which are usually not so easy to compress additionally by any compression utility) I ended with 998mb for zip and 996mb for rar. I was using winrar utility which shall know well how to do great rar files :-), So as result size difference is barely noticeable while time spent was about 2-3x for making rar.

Best Regards, Andrey

957 posts
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
3Ddym says

Some buyers don’t know anything about compression. Windows can extract zip file without need to install any archiver. I dont know for mac, but win can. That’s why zip is better choice.
I’m always using zip for transfer large files, the benefit is that client dont need to install anything, and I can extract/compress files through cpanel without installing any scripts for rar support.
I’m using rar for my stuffs and when I’m sending something to my friends who are not noobs.
Rar is also good to compress huge files into smaller parts. For VH files (up to 1gb) zip is fine.

+1

5180 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

The benefit of RAR is that You can create solid archive that helps a lot with this kind of work. 30mb file > 27mb file with best quality ZIP, 30mb file > 400kb file with best quality rar + solid archive..

Depends what you’re compressing. I doubt very much that a 30mb h.264 mov file will compress down to 400kb. h.264 has already had everything superfluous knocked out of it. It might work for several psd files.

You’re right, zip doesn’t do Solid, but I’m not convinced how much it would bring when compressing an already compressed data format, or a single file. As I understand it, Solid only brings any gains when you’re compressing multiple files (where it treats them all as one file).

The other thing is that RAR is a proprietary format, whereas (I think) zip is open. Zip is built in to Windows, Mac and (I think) Linux, whereas RAR is not. (Don’t quote me on that part… it’s not fact – it’s just a lingering notion I have)

Which actual compression methods are used inside the zip or rar container will depend on which program you’re using to compress, much like the results that you achieve from h.264 compression, it depends who or what is doing the compressing.

But I would suggest that if you start using RAR (or any other proprietary compression format out there) then you can expect to be spending more time answering support queries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_archive_formats
by
by
by
by
by
by