This is one thing that is really getting on my nerves now, I been hear a few years now so i have been able to make observations. I have yet to upload a logo yet so I am impartial and not posting out of spite. Its not only logos but other but I will start with this as Envato have made comment recently of this.
They stated the logos would be priced from $10 to $40 yet they have give every single logo $29 which is such a joke while some are very simple to the point of almost being shapes, while other have had a great deal of thought put into them. I just don’t understand how Envato can slap the same price on each logo. It just seem so lazy that thought is not being given to the level of detail or effectiveness.
lets take an example, lets say I work in a supper market and I was asked to price up all the cans of soup, and I when through and just price them all the same. boss speaks to me later on in the day and asks what the hell are you doing pricing all the soup the same. then I turn around and go what they all soup.
It would be nice if Envato put more though in to the reviewing and did not just give every thing one price for each category.
Once again a flaw has been pointed out in the whole issue of selling logos as stock. But as with all the other objections, I’m sure it will fall on deaf ears. More complicated logos should definitely be priced higher.
with some of the logos they are so simple that I could just open up illustrator and achieve them with in minutes, so would never buy, whereas other are detailed and would take a great amount of time to achieve similar results so would be worth buying.
That why some of the very simile one will be unlikely to achieve any sales, as if you spent the money on a program like illustrator you would I expect have the basic skill need to make these.
Envato really needs to give appropriate price to work not just slap the same price to every thing in a category, oh its a logo $29 $29 $29 $29 $29 $29 $29 $29 $29 $29 $29 $29 $29 $29 $29 $29 $29 $29 $29 $29
I asked Lance this very same question.
My understanding is that full stationery packs will give higher pricing in the future (up to the $40 mark I guess) – but they’re working on some stuff with licensing.
This is a brand new category and there are bound to be areas that will improve with time. I think pricing will be one of those.
Hope it helps
Also, lets not forget that the most successful category across all the marketplaces is Wordpress Themes, and they more or less have a flat pricing structure.
Sorry for the miscommunication when it came to prices. Originally we were going to have a price range, but later decided a standard $29 price would be better. Historically, every price on marketplace items is based on 2 things – the buyer, and quality (which includes complexity). Here are the reasons why we made the change for just this category:
1. When it comes to logos, complexity doesn’t necessarily reflect quality. Some of the best logos in the world are some of the simplest. Some of the worst are the most complex. With logos, quality often has far more to do with concept than hours spent actually designing.
2. From the buyer’s perspective, when it comes to complexity, it’s all the same. They just want a logo that fits their company. They wouldn’t understand why logos were priced differently and I’d hate for them to think it was a reflection of quality.
3. More than anything, price was decided on based on the license and the allowed usage. As you have probably already noticed, logo pricing doesn’t match with the pricing of comparable vectors or graphics – it’s much, much higher. What the buyer is mostly paying for is the ability to use the logo in a very, very flexible way. So let’s say that the license accounts for $25 of the price and the complexity accounts for the rest (I’m saying that based on the fact that comparable vectors are $3 – $5). That would give us a range of $28 – $30. That seemed like a silly range and a standard price was a better route to take.
I apologize that we changed our game plan on this last minute, but we really felt that this was the best decision for making sure the author got what they deserved and that it was clear and a reasonable price for the buyer.
Nice to hear why it has turn out like this, but I don’t agree all the logo submitted have the same level of concept behind them and therefore should not be given all the same price. price should be a determining factor where it may not directly be the quality, but level of concept should be taken into account.
If your going to keep the price constant then you should be a lot harsher with what get through as I would say at the moment not all the logo are worth $29 when compared to each other.
If you posted a poll on a design site and took a range of 20 items from the logo category I highly doubt everyone would value them all at the same price.
It all seem a bit rushed to me with lack of thought put into it.
- Please read our community guidelines. Self promotion and discussion of piracy is not allowed.
- Open a support ticket if you would like specific help with your account, deposits or purchases.
- Item Support by authors is optional and may vary. Please see the Support tab on each item page.
Most of all, enjoy your time here. Thank you for being a valued Envato community member.