2054 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

The major problem with responsive themes is that the “mobile” versions are very lacking. You take a lot of good aspects of your theme away from users, and they can’t use your site like they can on a normal computer because your site automatically scales based on their resolution, so there is no “View Normal” button available.

If that issue can’t be fixed, then no, I will not code responsively.

443 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
SplitV says

Uh yeah, your whole point is uh pointless. YOU are the developer, YOU decide what are/are not available on ANY version of your site regardless if you use media queries or not. So yeah, again, your whole point is pointless.

You want a ‘view normal’ button then ADD one, who is to say that cannot happen? Why would you even think that it cannot be done?

2213 posts
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Germany
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
crozer says

Then don’t.

2054 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

I was hoping for a more civilized discussion as to why responsive themes are better, but I should have expected nothing more.

@SplitV: The themes on here use @media to add CSS based on resolution, and I don’t think there is any way to just remove that on-the-fly.

1320 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

I partially agree, but there are many designs that don’t require you to hide elements in smaller resolutions.

2024 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+3 more
revaxarts says
LandonWilson said
I was hoping for a more civilized discussion as to why responsive themes are better, but I should have expected nothing more. @SplitV: The themes on here use @media to add CSS based on resolution, and I don’t think there is any way to just remove that on-the-fly.

JavaScript?

2054 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says
revaxarts said
LandonWilson said
I was hoping for a more civilized discussion as to why responsive themes are better, but I should have expected nothing more. @SplitV: The themes on here use @media to add CSS based on resolution, and I don’t think there is any way to just remove that on-the-fly.
JavaScript?

I don’t think JavaScript could target @media blocks specifically.

2213 posts
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Germany
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
crozer says
LandonWilson said

If you expect a discussion, point to some. You just state some facts that are not accurate and end your post with a somewhat arrogant sentence.

254 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
PabloFierro says

lol @landon, all of your threads go the same way.

As for your question, you don’t have to “scale” things up in your theme ( other than images) of course you have to take away elements of the page to make it fit the screen perfectly, otherwise it’ll take a lot of time to the user scroll down the page in a mobile device.

I truly believe all sites must implement at least a bit of “responsive” code, to give those user who visit your site via mobile device a decent experience.

Edit: there are ways around css @media, you can use server side scripts to serve special stylesheet for mobile devices, also I personally don’t like “responsiveness” when viewing a website in my desktop computer, I think “responsive” it’s best suited for mobile devices.

Cheers

2054 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says
crozer said
LandonWilson said
If you expect a discussion, point to some. You just state some facts that are not accurate and end your post with a somewhat arrogant sentence.

I probably should have ended with “If these issues can’t be remedied, I for one won’t be coding responsively any time soon. Why will/won’t you be?”

@prox: I know – I guess I attract trolls.

by
by
by
by
by
by