1 post
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
jYO says

I’m always checking in here hoping to come across more straight blogging themes to use, but 99% of the time what is designed are portfolio styled themes, or business themes. I get that those probably sell more, but I know there is a strong market for some quality blog themes for those just interested in having something that looks really good, integrating social media effectively, with a straight blogging centric focus.

I guess you could call this a thread asking to hopefully see more of this, and/or a specific request to have this done. The challenge of course is that I can’t justify paying a crazy amount for a custom design, but would hope to see it appear here.

Food for thought.

552 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
OurWebMedia says

A good portion of the templates submitted here for WordPress have the option of being just a “blog” with the ability to remove the other “custom pages” included. It just requires minimal edits on certain templates.

You’re right though, the Market is not as strong for straight blog templates. There are a few available, but its not as high a demand and authors of course are out to make themselves a penny and get their names out. Majority of the buyers are looking for websites that are easy to manage and because WordPress now offers so many possibilities, this is majority of buyers uses.

Tumblr is a great platform for straight blogs though. If you look through the category for them, you’ll see majority of them offer what it is you’re looking for an in some aspects Tumblr provides a better blogging atmosphere.

Sorry if this wasn’t very helpful. Best of luck to you.

674 posts
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Envato Staff
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Support Staff
+7 more
cudazi Staff says
A good portion of the templates submitted here for WordPress have the option of being just a “blog” with the ability to remove the other “custom pages” included. It just requires minimal edits on certain templates.

I agree with OurWebMedia’s comment above – keep an open mind when browsing, any page in WordPress can be set as the home page and most of the custom layout pages are totally optional.

Even if you aren’t using every page template or CMS -like feature included and just keeping it blog-only, you’re still getting a great deal vs. having a custom theme built!

3 posts
emileT says

I’ve been wondering about that!

I’m very, very new to Wordpress and was looking to purchase a theme for a site that will be a blog only (but possibly incorporate an image gallery at a later stage). However, most of the themes I like are classified as “CMS”, and the blog-only themes seem to be in short supply.

So, if I understand you correctly, most CMS themes can be used as a straight blog by simply setting the blog template as the home page. Is this something that can usually be done easily in the Wordpress administration panel? (Sorry for the noob question.)

674 posts
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Envato Staff
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Support Staff
+7 more
cudazi Staff says
I’ve been wondering about that!

I’m very, very new to Wordpress and was looking to purchase a theme for a site that will be a blog only (but possibly incorporate an image gallery at a later stage). However, most of the themes I like are classified as “CMS”, and the blog-only themes seem to be in short supply.

So, if I understand you correctly, most CMS themes can be used as a straight blog by simply setting the blog template as the home page. Is this something that can usually be done easily in the Wordpress administration panel? (Sorry for the noob question.)

Sure thing, check out the “Front Page Displays” setting:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Settings_Reading_SubPanel

3 posts
emileT says

Great :(

Now it’s going to be even harder choosing just one of the hundreds of excellent themes here. :P

552 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
OurWebMedia says

“The only stupid questions are those that remain unasked.” So always ask your questions and never consider yourself a “noob” =) We all start somewhere and in taking the effort to at least get started you’ve already accomplished something!

Basically, yes. There are a couple options available and as someone already suggested, a great link for some information as well.

Just go into your WP-Admin, under “Settings” locate “Reading”, select which Page Layout you’d like to act as your Homepage. In majority of the templates available here, you can assign a Blog template to the homepage to avoid the look of a normal website and have the appearance of a blog as you desire.

Be sure to review the notes the Authors leave for the description of their items. Most times this information will be included and if all else fails, shoot the author an email via their profile or leave a comment on the item for help. Most authors are fast to respond and eager to help.

Best of luck.

Kind regards, Bryce

by
by
by
by
by
by