263 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Located in Antarctica Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
x360c says

I don’t know what’s going on here, but I want a code that clones a MovieClip as Bitmap. Sounds easy? Nope.

Here’s the code:
function cloneMovieClip (original:MovieClip){
var tempData=new BitmapData (original.width,original.height,true,0xFFFFFF);
var tempBitmap:Bitmap=new Bitmap (tempData);
tempData.draw (original);
return tempBitmap;
}
Doesn’t work… it’s pushes this error:
ArgumentError: Error #2015: Invalid BitmapData.
    at flash.display::BitmapData$iinit()
    at index_fla::MainTimeline/cloneMovieClip()
    at MethodInfo-302()
So I change it to this:
var tempData=new BitmapData (50,50,true,0xFFFFFF);
return tempBitmap;
}

And it does work, but I need it dynamic. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON ?

755 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
djankey says
AS2 ? _width, _height
var tempData=new BitmapData (original._width,original._height,true,0xFFFFFF);
2309 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
theflyingtinman says
I don’t know what’s going on here, but I want a code that clones a MovieClip as Bitmap. Sounds easy? Nope. Here’s the code:
var tempData=new BitmapData (original.width,original.height,true,0xFFFFFF);
return tempBitmap;
}
Doesn’t work… it’s pushes this error:
ArgumentError: Error #2015: Invalid BitmapData.
    at flash.display::BitmapData$iinit()
    at index_fla::MainTimeline/cloneMovieClip()
    at MethodInfo-302()
So I change it to this:
var tempData=new BitmapData (50,50,true,0xFFFFFF);
return tempBitmap;
}
And it does work, but I need it dynamic. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON ?

So when you put your trace statements in to examine the values of original.width & original.height (the only difference between the working function version and the non-working version) and the value of tempData after instantiation, what did it report?

263 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Located in Antarctica Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
x360c says

It’s AS3 . The numbers are outputted when traced. I think it’s a bug, but I see examples of this code on the web working. Any more ideas?

2309 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
theflyingtinman says
It’s AS3 . The numbers are outputted when traced. I think it’s a bug, but I see examples of this code on the web working. Any more ideas?

What numbers?

263 posts
+1 more
x360c says

I am an idiot. I forgot BitmapData has a strict limit of width/height not being over 2880 pixels. Urghh! Now I have to find some kind of solution…

2309 posts
+5 more
theflyingtinman says
I am an idiot. I forgot BitmapData has a strict limit of width/height not being over 2880 pixels ….

That is what I was getting at. :)

5324 posts The Dude Abides
    Located in United States Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says
1389 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
Pdesignx says

yes flash has 2880 limit… you can not show wider than this.. even when you load with loadMovie or MovlieClipLoader…

1955 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Emroni says

I hadnt heard about this limit before, just 2 days ago or something someone posted that on another thread. Why 2880, and why is there a limit to begin with? Can imagine people getting frustrated about it..

Anyway, x360c, why not load it in slices side by side into a movieclip, and then draw that main mc into bitmap? Would that work? Or, bitmap the slices, and use them next to each other every time

by
by
by
by
by
by