7604 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

Yes, He had a really big portfolio, and deleting it left a giant hole in PD and other stock sites. Signing a exclusive agreement is not the only thing. He wanted some more facilities in the current sites but they failed to give him.

what are those improvements he requested?

1412 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
IngeniousArtist says

“GettyImages and Yuri Arcurs

For a maturing photographer microstock is a great learning platform, but if you mistake “school” for “workplace”, you are in trouble. I did so for years.

I would estimate that for the last three years I tried very hard to convince myself that microstock was in fact the right place for the professional photographer. After all, my photography carrier was born here. Perhaps exactly because of that, I tried so hard to disregard a growing mismatch between microstock and myself, in product refinement, sophistication and budget. As we grew in skills, as our company grew, our distribution partners in microstock did not. Some agencies where ok, but in total, as a mass and as a workplace, the picture was not nice. Sometimes it felt like having a michelin restaurant inside a burger joint and at the same time having to match the prices. At some point the professional gets tired of selling 12 course testing menues at 0300AM at burger prices.

I tried everything I could for three years to inspire our microstock partners to close the gab. I submitted plans, did projection forecasts, showcased examples that worked, presented solutions and had literally hundreds of meetings. I tried every kind of approach I could think of to get the micro agencies to raise prices just a bit and leave place for the kind of photographer both photographers and customers love. I spent literally months in airplanes. No Luck.

Thinking back I must admit, that my chances where low: when 20% of the CEOs where sleeping in the sun, 20% had no clue what the industry was actually about, 15% thought that the only food customers needed was burgers and if they did not eat it for breakfast we just needed to convince them. The 45% rest where paralyzed by the initial success and for all means did not want the change anything.

In joining forces with GettyImages/IstockPhoto we where surprised to find that pretty much all the concerns we had as professional content providers where either already taken care of, or part of upcoming releases. If not, they would be now. The corporate culture at GettyImages and their ambition of constant product refinement was a perfect match with ours. And this is not to say that we don’t want to shoot “junk food” anymore, but simply that if we choose to do so, why not do it great with a partner that understands how to market it! For the first time in a long 7 years, we where impressed by our partners.”

7604 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

in the end he will earn the same if he is lucky. may have great photos but small users can’t afford to pay 100$ or more for each picture.

maybe he did his math and figure out that with less work (updating all those different websites cost time and money) he can keep the same income.

istock is still a stock website but with slighter better prices, but we have to admit, while website at envato are stuck with old, out of hand search browse and purchase methods, istock is improving their website again and again. hopefully envato will learn this lesson and start figuring out that making this a better place is not synonym of putting sale reversal on authors back just to cut a small percentage loss of their earnings.

6025 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

... hopefully envato will learn this lesson and start figuring out that making this a better place is not synonym of putting sale reversal on authors back just to cut a small percentage loss of their earnings.

From some search, I found few photostocks already have the reversal mechanism for a long time.

What is lacking here is abnormal priorities about features and improvements and most probably poor management taking too much of time for upgrades. Probably dev team’s workflow being disturbed by new services too frequently than any other vendors.

1741 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
gbs says

Yuri is a big player. With his fame and portfolio through all those years, he can totally jump out and creates a brand for his own (which he actually did). Other than that, there may be some other reasons to his decision. Maybe Gettyimages or iStockphoto gave him some kind of deals that’s acceptable to give up all the other guys. And of course, maybe the other website did not give him the “feeling”, the “culture” or even the features he expected to have. What I get from that article: One – to summarize where you can buy Yuri photo now; and Two – he also invested in Scoopshot :D

2180 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

PhotoDune has the potential, but still lacks many essential tools (just like all other Envato marketplaces). For example, although I’m not a buyer, part of my “job” here is to try and think like one, so I can easily understand why somebody can go and buy one theme at ThemeForest and be happy, but serious photo buyers would avoid PhotoDune if they need to buy a lot of photos. Shopping cart, anybody?

I’ve recently noticed lots of ads for PhotoDune around the web, and that’s a good thing to see, but once potential buyers come here, modern looking user interface won’t keep them long enough here when they find out that some basic tools are lacking…

EDIT: Even Collis stated a few days ago in another thread that they (staff) had to manually click the “purchase” button 100 times for a certain serious buyer who needed 100 licenses for plugin over at CodeCanyon. Is that really a true image of a modern and up-to-date Internet company? O.o

6025 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

EDIT: Even Collis stated a few days ago in another thread that they (staff) had to manually click the “purchase” button 100 times for a certain serious buyer who needed 100 licenses for plugin over at CodeCanyon. Is that really a true image of a modern and up-to-date Internet company? O.o

As long as it doesn’t affect the “overall” profit, it is possible to continue that way. :|

But who said this is modern and uptodate? We are ancient ;)

1285 posts
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

Yuri’s by far the best in the world, I’ve bought lots of his images over the years. Its sad to see him go, though I certainly understand his rationale and wish him the best for continued success. He’s genuinely world-class best guy in the entire world for stock photos.

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

I think there’s some seriously good reading right there from Yuri for Envato in general.

1285 posts
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

I agree – it might be helpful for Envato to at least let everyone know a TIMELINE of new features being planned for release, like shopping cart functionality, better search, etc etc. It’s amazing how fast Envato’s grown (I’ve been here from the early flashden days); so it’s a matter of a bajillion details they have to take care of, which is hard to implement new sitewide features. Great network of sites, would be nice to know what’s on the horizon, at least general plans

by
by
by
by
by
by