85 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
mattborchert says

Is there any sort of legal issue with having a major investment placed with a competitors website to where you were hosting the vast majority of your images, then pulling all those images and placing them on said competitors website? Insider trading?

154 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
SkillLine says

Does this mean , all my purchases with him are now gone too ! :( Will have to check, I never re downloaded from Photodune after my MAC crashes few weeks ago

You’re right! and it’s a bit strange because hardly ever seen Eliot author removing his stuff but anyway I prefer to download all the items I purchase from anywhere and keep a backup for them.

1550 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Russian Federation
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
AndrVlad says

To go down Photodune needs to go up first. Photodune is not there yet based on fact that Yuri in his blog post not mentioned Photodune in the list, just “etc” stock service.

Best Regards, Andrey

7200 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+1 more
doru says

edit: phew download link still works.

I’m assuming the photo and account was disabled/hidden by staff

1255 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
harmonikas996 says

Read more…

By the way, if you have 10 mins of free time, read more about Yuri’s life http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_arcurs

7200 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+1 more
doru says

Actually prices on his own website cover a wide range. normal images are similar to photodune but there are a lot that are much more expensive and cost several hundred dollars in full resolution…

It makes sense.

While we speaking about prices and how this industry works, I like the way Corbis price their images. It depends of what you do with them, what countries you use them, how many people see them, for how long, if is a tv commercial, or a book, a magazine or a big billboard.

On microstock websites like photodune is just, pay a small fee and you can use it on a website with couple of visits each month or in a Superbowl commercial seen by hundreds of millions.

I would love to see this type of license not only for photos, but also for After Effects projects or websites, or vector graphics.

Is a different type of business, more complex but one that put more value on the work of the artist.

If you don’t know Corbis, just make an account there, chose a photo and hit the “Price Image” button.

I know we can’t speak about competitors on forums but in my opinion Corbis is not a direct competitor of Photodune. The two websites work very different.

1257 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
graphic4444 says

Yuri’s long been an inspiration to me; he’s the very best in the world. I’ve been a happy customer of his from photos on a variety of sites over the years. If I were him I wouldn’t have pulled All photos from all microstock sites, maybe just pull the top 30-50% of them for a premium site, and leave the rest on the other sites, for awareness/branding/upsells.. But I’m sure getty made him a great offer for exclusive, so it made sense for him.

Anyways I wish him the best, I always like buying from world’s top people. I will not however buy premium priced images at $30+ from anyone, I’ll just continue to buy from microstock sites. I’ve bought/got subscription buy of hundreds of his photos in years past, and they’re the finest anywhere, so I’m grateful to have been a customer. Yuri rocks. Top creative photographer in the world imo.

He sent a very nice email reply to me from photodune earlier, a class act and great guy.

2613 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • United States
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Support Staff
+16 more
scottwills Staff says

To answer the question in the title of the thread, no, PhotoDune is not going down. Quite the opposite. :) I’ve been told that sales are actually rising. When you look at the quality of some of the content from the top authors on PhotoDune, it’s not surprising really. Surely you’ve seen the portfolios of ollyi, subbotina and SergeyNivens? Just a few of my personal faves that I’ve purchased from myself in the past, but there are a lot more gems in there for sure!

The team that work behind the scenes on PhotoDune were fully aware of Yuri’s decision and if anyone was seeking clarification, I just wanted to share this is not something we were unaware of. :)

Finally, as a heads-up and reminder, although this is a great thread and there’s no problem discussing this issue, we may need to moderate some of the references and comments regarding competitor services as this is against forum policy. Thanks so much for understanding.

212 posts Live Creative!
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
BrownHouseMedia says

Sounds like a vacuum has been created and a few industrious photographers may see an opportunity.

1255 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
harmonikas996 says

To answer the question in the title of the thread, no, PhotoDune is not going down. Quite the opposite. :) I’ve been told that sales are actually rising. When you look at the quality of some of the content from the top authors on PhotoDune, it’s not surprising really. Surely you’ve seen the portfolios of ollyi, subbotina and SergeyNivens? Just a few of my personal faves that I’ve purchased from myself in the past, but there are a lot more gems in there for sure!

The team that work behind the scenes on PhotoDune were fully aware of Yuri’s decision and if anyone was seeking clarification, I just wanted to share this is not something we were unaware of. :)

Finally, as a heads-up and reminder, although this is a great thread and there’s no problem discussing this issue, we may need to moderate some of the references and comments regarding competitor services as this is against forum policy. Thanks so much for understanding.

Thank you for giving us those information.

Point of this thread was (and it is) to find the main problems of the photodune. Yuri wrote excellent article where your dev team can read more about the main problems of websites like photodune (not 100% like but most of problems are general).

I hope your devs will go deeper in that and try to improve UX on Photodune at all.

Best regards, Luka

by
by
by
by
by
by