962 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
webdesigndeluxe says

Hey everyone, for some reason this theme did not get approved and I was wondering if anybody can give me some pointers on how to improve it. Based on the email, it just needs some fixes on the design style (typography, etc.) so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.webdesigndeluxe.com/alphastudio/

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

Can you check that link? It’s not working for me.

962 posts
+5 more
webdesigndeluxe says
4340 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

The link is broken man. Watching it now :P

1877 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
FRESHFACE says

The main nav top words could be more visible and also the text in buttons. Buttons are really nice, but the text on them just doesn’t pop out (I can’t believe I’ve just said that).

Lastly, there could be a little more noticeable gradient on the background:

http://www.webdesigndeluxe.com/alphastudio/images/back.png

Now it’s too much subtle imho – depends a lot on the monitor you have though.

And I personally don’t like this pattern http://www.webdesigndeluxe.com/alphastudio/images/bg.jpg

I think the rock or stone or something like that subtle pattern could look better. Liam’s brush set would be wonderful for this job:

http://wefunction.com/2010/04/42-more-subtle-grunge-brushes/

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

It seems a little empty and lacking options that most of the designs offer here. I really like the minimalist design but personally think that a simple navigation and slider on the home page may not be enough for buyers. I probably wouldn’t buy it with so little options.

Also, it looks like your horizontal navigation is wrapping funny:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9507/navm.jpg

3007 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

the pictures you are using are hudge… make them repeat and make them smaller

962 posts
+5 more
webdesigndeluxe says

Thanks guys! Any other pointers? With the type, etc.?

1050 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

Break out of that box, or at least stretch it. I’m sure that’s part of the “theme” to show all the content in a box, but at least show a page with more content like the “about” page. Make it longer with more info. Add some list items, a photo, a side navigation. Show how it will look if someone actually populates it for a site.

There are no navigation areas other than the top navigation. How do I navigate sub-pages?

Does it scroll or extend? You don’t show any pages explaining what happens if I have more content than will fit in that box. Does it scroll or will the box extend?

What if I want more on my home page than a slider? Can I have content below it in another box? Users want to know this and so do the reviewers. Show an alternate home page that explains the home page layout options.

Those links at the top are spread out quite a bit. Might want to try a left or right alignment.

I looked at your code a little and it seems the box is a fixed size (could be wrong). No matter how much content I add it will stay there and the content will overflow out of it? That’s unrealistic to assume a user will make their content fit that box. That alone will get your design rejected on a usability basis.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says
Break out of that box, or at least stretch it. I’m sure that’s part of the “theme” to show all the content in a box, but at least show a page with more content like the “about” page. Make it longer with more info. Add some list items, a photo, a side navigation. Show how it will look if someone actually populates it for a site.

There are no navigation areas other than the top navigation. How do I navigate sub-pages?

Does it scroll or extend? You don’t show any pages explaining what happens if I have more content than will fit in that box. Does it scroll or will the box extend?

What if I want more on my home page than a slider? Can I have content below it in another box? Users want to know this and so do the reviewers. Show an alternate home page that explains the home page layout options.

Those links at the top are spread out quite a bit. Might want to try a left or right alignment.

I looked at your code a little and it seems the box is a fixed size (could be wrong). No matter how much content I add it will stay there and the content will overflow out of it? That’s unrealistic to assume a user will make their content fit that box. That alone will get your design rejected on a usability basis.

^ ^ ^ +1 ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by