160 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
jordie says

@ justinfrench — Probably not, both need to happen. Presumably if you build the API, then Envato will use it to build the features in ThemeForest. I don’t see why it would be one or the other.

When authors hit the elite level, right on queue keeping up with support becomes a real challenge. Running a dedicated support forum starts to make a lot more sense, but still having to check Envato regularly is a pain.

This is the #1 reason I haven’t externalized support yet, but I’m working on it now.

If there was a comments API though — everything changes. I could pull in comments to the dashboard of my support system and do all admin from one place. I could even hire support reps to post to ThemeForest via the API on my behalf while giving up no control over my account.

That’s a huge potential win.
Exactly what I want it for, too :)
491 posts
    Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Located in Australia Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

Ok thanks everyone for helping me build up some context around this! Like I said, there’s no immediate plans for API projects, but I’m definitely tracking this stuff for the future.

491 posts
    Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Located in Australia Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

For what it’s worth, we’ve just shipped item comment notifications for authors.

1 post
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
zsystems says

Justin,

On top of the comment notifications discussed above, it would be extremely useful if we could read and search comments through the API. This would allow us to build such things as knowledge bases, FAQs, searching, archiving and more that would be very helpful to our users.

8231 posts Community Moderator
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

^ I think it would be good if the search for the site was fixed first ;)

226 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
nickys says

I would like to add something as well.

1. The biggest problem that I got into is that I can’t get all items for an author. There is only API to get the number of items for an author in each marketplace, but that’s all. I have to parse each page of the author’s portfolio, on each marketplace that he has items published.

2. Comments: number of comments per product, get the 20 most recent comments, etc. Right now I have to fetch the entire atom feed for each product, just to see if there is a new comment.

3. API for posting comments – I would love to have an app that can do that.

4. Amount sold (not earnings, but total amount sold) – this is I don’t see why this isn’t in the API. It’s not really private info, anyone can calculate it by getting the earnings by month from the API and then work from there with decent accuracy. But for developers “decent” isn’t quite good. For example – I want to know when an author hits exactly (or just above) $75,000 in amount sold, and I can’t do that using the API.

5. “Developer” API keys with much higher hourly limit – right now I’m developing an app and I’m using 3 API keys – mine and two borrowed from my friends. And I’m still constantly hitting the max requests per hour limit. Getting an “unlimited” API key by contacting support would be cool. It’s painful to develop an app with the current API limit.

While I am grateful that Envato has provided API, I must say that it needs some work and these are my top 5 feature requests.

Peace

3014 posts
    Helps us moderate the forums Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations Won a competition
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

If you don’t mind getting dirty in php then this mashup of a php class can read/write comments for you without using the api: https://github.com/dtbaker/envato-scraper

3014 posts
    Helps us moderate the forums Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations Won a competition
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

I’d be very interested to know what this app does that hits the hourly limits of 3 different api keys (why borrow from someone? Just make more in your account area?)

226 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
nickys says

I’d be very interested to know what this app does that hits the hourly limits of 3 different api keys (why borrow from someone? Just make more in your account area?)

Lol it’s not what you think :P I’m just relaunching it constantly as I’m working on it and eventually I hit the limit. Hm, I thought the API limits were based on the user, not the API key itself? Or am I wrong?

675 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
dexterous says
5. “Developer” API keys with much higher hourly limit – right now I’m developing an app and I’m using 3 API keys – mine and two borrowed from my friends. And I’m still constantly hitting the max requests per hour limit. Getting an “unlimited” API key by contacting support would be cool. It’s painful to develop an app with the current API limit.

I am also facing this issue, do you know how many requests for a single API key are allowed in an hour?

by
by
by
by
by
by