922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

I was actually kinda shocked that there wasn’t a forum thread on this yet as I figured there’d be some strong opinions & ideas from the community here… so I may as well fire it up!

Windows 8 is out – who’s upgrading, who’s waiting, who doesn’t ever plan to grab it?

Of those of you that have upgraded right away, what are your first impressions? The good, the bad, & everything in between. Chat it up!

69 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
AlphaPixels says

I upgraded to adobe cs6 and windows 8 together, yesterday.

357 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
billyf says

I have used the Release Preview few months ago. I just think it’s quite different. Not necessarily better or worse than Windows 7 because it is just so different that there are some aspects which are better, and some which are worse than Windows 7.

To me, I still prefer to have the ‘My Computer’ or ‘Explorer’ access which I couldn’t find on the Start screen (I use them quite frequently though). So, I’m still sticking to Windows 7 at the moment as I’m more used to it.

Windows 8 is really fast, even faster than Windows 7 but it also takes time for a person to be adapted to it. We are just too used to the same UI which was introduced 17 years ago.

1409 posts
  • Contributed a blog post
  • Located in Europe
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+7 more
Stylius says

I am going to wait a couple of months before I update it. For those who are already using it: isn’t it difficult to use in a PC? Isn’t it designed for tablets and they pushed it into PCs as well?

379 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
kaaz says

I am going to wait a couple of months before I update it. For those who are already using it: isn’t it difficult to use in a PC? Isn’t it designed for tablets and they pushed it into PCs as well?
  • Its not difficult to use Windows 8 in PCs, just remove metro UI.
  • Only Metro UI is confusing users.

I’ll upgrade soon, Thanks for IE10 competitive browser and HTML5 apps in desktop

304 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
BittLoader says

I have a Win7 now but i think soon i will move to a Mac :) I had a Mac Mini few months ago and i was in love with it.

1409 posts
  • Contributed a blog post
  • Located in Europe
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+7 more
Stylius says

Strange how few people are actually interested in PCs. I expected to get some more feedback from WIN8 users. :)

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

I am going to wait a couple of months before I update it. For those who are already using it: isn’t it difficult to use in a PC? Isn’t it designed for tablets and they pushed it on the PCs as well?

My first impression was “yes, it’s totally designed for a tablet”... that said, after about an hour of using it and picking up on their new keyboard shortcuts (thanks to some advice from other early adopters on Twitter), I actually found myself really enjoying the new system on a non-touchscreen comp.

The one’s I picked up immediately:

Win+I (shortcut to basic settings – volume, power, etc.) Win+D (shortcut to the desktop) Win (shortcut to the start screen) Win+M (minimize everything)

The problem is that they don’t really advertise the keyboard shortcuts… and for good reason – it makes a beautifully simple system seem really complicated… but for power users, they are a godsend because they basically replace the “gestures” with some really simple shortcuts that do the same thing.

I will say that the list of shortcuts available is staggering – http://media.bestofmicro.com/E/F/329703/original/4667.Keyboard_2D00_shortcuts_2D00_for_2D00_Windows_2D00_8_5F00_5756566F.png – honestly, it’s borderline ridiculous to imagine someone learning that many shortcuts. But, like Photoshop, you probably just end up learning a couple really handy ones and leaving the others.

I’m just a couple hours into using it, but after my initial frustration it’s really beginning to grow on me. I know that casual users and non-tech savvy people are going to appreciate the simplicity of the start screen (keep in mind that casual Windows users don’t do much more than use a browser nowadays… and even then it’s for basic tasks like checking Facebook, email, the news, etc. – all of which W8 does exceptionally well with the start screen).

All of my apps are there and work the same – I just need to click past the Start Screen when I want to go to work… which is kinda cool for my own workflow because now I have a “casual mode” (start screen) and a “work mode” (desktop)... it’s superficial, but it works for me as a sort of mental division between casually browsing the news/twitter/fb/etc. and when I’m using my computer for development.

For power users on a desktop/laptop that’s not touch-screen, the keyboard shortcuts are nice… but I really keep finding myself I could just touch my screen, which I suppose just adds another item to the list of new gadgets I want… Overall, it’s a nice improvement over Windows 7 after you get over the learning curve. I can definitely understand anyone raging against it though as a lot of it feels ass-backwards at first.

Hope that little mini-review from a designer/developer’s perspective helps :)

142 posts Get in the spotlight
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
FamousThemes says

Well I was waiting for this release for a long time :)

I am a big fan of the new interface, the design and the feel of this 8 version it definitely a stept up into the future.

Cannot wait to update, but will wait for a few months to find myself a new PC also. I will go for sure for a HP touch smart , all in one PC, solution. With a touch screen and a keyboard.

30 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
vervethemes says

I am not so happy with Windows 8. Actually with Microsoft’s decision to give its flagship product a complete overhaul. In 2007, they did the same with Vista. After 7 years of using XP, people were so used to it that they found it impossible to switch to Vista. Eventually it failed. Now when people were slowly getting to terms with Windows 7, MS is like “wait wait, we got a new UI for you, now try to figure this out”. I mean, Windows is their backbone. Why do they fiddle with it every 2 years? A desktop OS should LOOK like a desktop OS. I dont want to start a debate but OS X is still a desktop OS and iOS is something that runs on handheld devices. With every new update on OSX and iOS, the mutual integration gets stronger, while for the user they still look like two different products. Instead of making one hybrid OS, Apple chose to keep the two separate while making the underlying integration strong.

Windows 8 may be good on tablets, but I just don’t feel like using it on my laptop. Metro UI is a little too flat and bland for my taste.

by
by
by
by
by
by