hmm I think I’ll reinstall the Ubuntu OS

639 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
Crakken says

Lol, just don’t update people. Ubuntu and Windows 7 dual boot is just amazing :D
I’ll get a Mac anyway ROFL

492 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
DoubleX says
http://i.imgur.com/q48hD.jpg
I find Windows 7 satisfying at all, no need or reason to update, it’s pretty fast on SSD .
973 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

I don’t care what information they collect as long as its used correctly.

We get tracked all the time, Google does it for ad targeting, Apple does it for Genius (suggests apps I may like)

3103 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Lol, just don’t update people. Ubuntu and Windows 7 dual boot is just amazing :D

I’ve just dropped ubuntu for linux mint. Runs much better on this laptop

3715 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

I just installed something the other day and wasn’t connected to the internet and Windows told me some kind of message like “you can’t install this because we can’t verify that it’s a safe program”. So I guess this explains it.

That’s horrible! I don’t want microsoft snooping through my executables to see if it’s safe or not! At least display one of those infamous ‘cancel or allow’ popups, and give the user a choice.

People who don’t like Microsoft to monitor them, can always disable that.

That’s the problem right there. It shouldn’t be opt-out, but rather opt-in if there’s a considerable benefit for the user. But then again, there’s an education problem as well – I would go as far as to suggest that 90% of the computer users have no clue what they’re doing, and if Microsoft feels like this would increase their security (and it might) then it could be worth considering that the (vast majority of the) users are not well-equiped to make the decision.

From a privacy point of view, though, this is a very, very slippery slope. As an industry, we need to be careful that the user is not belittled and patronized too much – in the end, they’ll grow accustomed to this model and be hopelessly lost when one of these security checks fails.

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

I just installed something the other day and wasn’t connected to the internet and Windows told me some kind of message like “you can’t install this because we can’t verify that it’s a safe program”. So I guess this explains it.
That’s horrible! I don’t want microsoft snooping through my executables to see if it’s safe or not! At least display one of those infamous ‘cancel or allow’ popups, and give the user a choice.

Another thing I don’t really like about Win 8 is that you’re forced to “login” everytime the computer starts. I can’t remember what the options were when I installed it, but I know I can’t use the computer now without entering my old Hotmail username and password.

I’ve been using Win 8 on my laptop for a few months now. The pros are that it’s lightning fast. The cons are that Win 7 still wins in the usability department, at least on a desktop. It feels like some things take an extra step or two now. For example, to shut down the computer, it’s a mouse-hover, then 3 clicks. But Win 7 just is just 2 clicks.

285 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Serbia
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
scrnjakovic says

Yarrrrrrr! That’s all I’m gonna say. I bet you understand me.

725 posts WordPress Ninja
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
TylerQuinn says

I’ll get a Mac anyway ROFL

Yeah because the App Store doesn’t track every app you download and install…

by
by
by
by
by
by