• Indonesia
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
canimalition says

\\

XP not only managed to survive against all odds for the past decade, but dominated the operating system market like no other platform.

Released on October 25, 2001, Windows XP was developed under the codename Whistler, and was actually released to manufacturing on August 24, 2001.

Counting from the RTM deadline, XP has already been 10 years old for a few months now, since it was at the end of August 2011 that the code went gold.

Still, October 25 is considered the official birthday of the OS, and Microsoft is bound to celebrate it along with the impending retirement of this platform.

The software giant is building Windows 8, but it’s also urging customers not to wait any longer, and make the jump to Windows 7 as soon as possible.

The company already sold in excess of 450 million Windows 7 licenses in less than two years. It had taken it over four years to push some 400 million licenses of Windows XP.

Meanwhile, Windows 7 still has to reach its watershed moment, while XP’s apex is a thing of the past. Microsoft has stopped selling Windows XP for years now, even though copies can still be found from various sources.

XP’s longevity certainly ensures that this operating system will have a prominent place in history, but fact is that the platform’s life is far from over.

Provided that customers have SP3 installed, they can still enjoy support from Microsoft until April 2014, at which point the company will pull the plug on this product.

Although, understandably, upgrading from XP to a more recent release of Windows would feel like parting with a very old friend, users need to understand that they’re running an obsolete operating system and that they’d benefit from increased security, productivity, support, etc. by embracing Windows 7.

Happy Birthday XP… :)

534 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Serbia
Farley_Design says

Lol, nice thread :) Happy B-day to XP! It really saved us from Win2000 and Windows 98 ;)

5544 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Great OS, I was always happy with it. RIP

haha, btw no one going to celebrate birthday of IE6 ! :P

4136 posts
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
tsafi says

Xp ? What’s that :P I think i didn’t even look at Xp in the last 2 years .

Still it’s a good example the way the world move on the tec` ,we developers try to work on the cutting edge/age as what new on the web ,the hottest new application /software tools out there ,but sometime i just think i am 5 years a head from the real world ,all respect the majority of the world adapting so slow with web tec`, but i guess that’s the real world and not the one i think i am living in ,hell people still develop in AS2 and JS :P slow world ……….

1394 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Europe
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Stylius says

I… I don’t know what to say.. happy b-day or rest in piece :|

3007 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

He is as ugly as they get. :)) Windows 7 was and is a big step forward for Microsoft.

34 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • India
Innovation says

I still use XP.

3182 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+2 more
ToivoMedia says

So I’m not alone in still using XP. My current computer came with Windows Vista, so I downgraded upgraded to XP shortly after buying it :)

140 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
weblusive says

As of me, the best OS ever created by Microsoft. It was really hard to say farewell to XP and pass on to Win7. Not talking about Vista which I deleted immediately from my brand new laptop and installed XP.

831 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
tigerlabs says

I used Windows XP for about 6 years, a great operating system, occasional annoying glitches (mostly with the network system) but the system was overall stable and a good release by Microsoft.

by
by
by
by
by
by