1313 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Indonesia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
canimalition says

\\

XP not only managed to survive against all odds for the past decade, but dominated the operating system market like no other platform.

Released on October 25, 2001, Windows XP was developed under the codename Whistler, and was actually released to manufacturing on August 24, 2001.

Counting from the RTM deadline, XP has already been 10 years old for a few months now, since it was at the end of August 2011 that the code went gold.

Still, October 25 is considered the official birthday of the OS, and Microsoft is bound to celebrate it along with the impending retirement of this platform.

The software giant is building Windows 8, but it’s also urging customers not to wait any longer, and make the jump to Windows 7 as soon as possible.

The company already sold in excess of 450 million Windows 7 licenses in less than two years. It had taken it over four years to push some 400 million licenses of Windows XP.

Meanwhile, Windows 7 still has to reach its watershed moment, while XP’s apex is a thing of the past. Microsoft has stopped selling Windows XP for years now, even though copies can still be found from various sources.

XP’s longevity certainly ensures that this operating system will have a prominent place in history, but fact is that the platform’s life is far from over.

Provided that customers have SP3 installed, they can still enjoy support from Microsoft until April 2014, at which point the company will pull the plug on this product.

Although, understandably, upgrading from XP to a more recent release of Windows would feel like parting with a very old friend, users need to understand that they’re running an obsolete operating system and that they’d benefit from increased security, productivity, support, etc. by embracing Windows 7.

Happy Birthday XP… :)

538 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Farley_Design says

Lol, nice thread :) Happy B-day to XP! It really saved us from Win2000 and Windows 98 ;)

5997 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Great OS, I was always happy with it. RIP

haha, btw no one going to celebrate birthday of IE6 ! :P

4140 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says

Xp ? What’s that :P I think i didn’t even look at Xp in the last 2 years .

Still it’s a good example the way the world move on the tec` ,we developers try to work on the cutting edge/age as what new on the web ,the hottest new application /software tools out there ,but sometime i just think i am 5 years a head from the real world ,all respect the majority of the world adapting so slow with web tec`, but i guess that’s the real world and not the one i think i am living in ,hell people still develop in AS2 and JS :P slow world ……….

1410 posts
  • Contributed a blog post
  • Located in Europe
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
Stylius says

I… I don’t know what to say.. happy b-day or rest in piece :|

3007 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

He is as ugly as they get. :)) Windows 7 was and is a big step forward for Microsoft.

34 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Innovation says

I still use XP.

3714 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

So I’m not alone in still using XP. My current computer came with Windows Vista, so I downgraded upgraded to XP shortly after buying it :)

140 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
weblusive says

As of me, the best OS ever created by Microsoft. It was really hard to say farewell to XP and pass on to Win7. Not talking about Vista which I deleted immediately from my brand new laptop and installed XP.

831 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
tigerlabs says

I used Windows XP for about 6 years, a great operating system, occasional annoying glitches (mostly with the network system) but the system was overall stable and a good release by Microsoft.

by
by
by
by
by
by