2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

Is Woothemes themes here all using timthumb?
I just googled timthumb, found a post on their blog about them using it in their framework and file being called “thumb.php”, did a bunch of try on some folders and found the file.

The link points to their preview, i can’t say if they use it or not but for sure it’s included in the theme i checked.

161 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
themebros says

Just noticed that all their themes point to a screenshot only. Demos down?
Yeah, the demos link to WooThemes which is against the TF rules. Three outcomes:
  1. They make special demos for TF (don’t think it’s worth the effort)
  2. They change their current demos not to link to WooThemes (not gonna happen)
  3. No demo, just some screenshots (most likely)

And guys, relax. The themes will be gone from the first few pages withing a week as all themes do, they won’t make a ton of sales to stand out from the crowd, so it’s not like this will influence us a lot.

They posted the news on their blog, these days the news will be on all the WP news websites, TF will get some more traffic and perhaps bring in some new customers to TF and that’s pretty much it. Themeforest and the authors will gain more from this then WooThemes will.

495 posts WordPress Gurus!
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
ThemeBeans says

Three outcomes:
  1. They make special demos for TF (don’t think it’s worth the effort)
  2. They change their current demos not to link to WooThemes (not gonna happen)
  3. No demo, just some screenshots (most likely)

Yup, potential buyers may be confused as well.

6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Still now they have “help desk” link on description, this is simply few clicks away from their own purchase button.

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Still now they have “help desk” link on description, this is simply few clicks away from their own purchase button.

Technically we aren’t allowed to link to competing sites, but when your support forum just happens to also be one click away from your shop it’s a pretty big loophole.

This is where having a better in-house support interface would really help with customer retention. Because if you could keep all support in-house, then it would be easy to just ban all links leading to any type of competition (including external support forums). But until then there’s not much that can be done about it, because the support system here just isn’t robust enough for larger authors to provide proper support.

7576 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

Strictly my opinion but someone have to say it.

I like that envato want to be friend with everybody but some people can’t be trusted. Starting from wordpress creators who demand themes to be fully gpl while at the same time their themes have no source codes released for free under that precise license. Ironically, all themes (and items) on envato marketplace have all source code available. And what about woothemes who took the opportunity to redirect envato customers to their website where, while themeforest banner sits at the top, they proposed offers like: discounted themes, 3 themes at the price of 1 and other stuff like that.

It may be that envato closed an eye when they accepted their items, but they did it in good faith, to fix some of the problems that appeared in the wordpress community. There is nothing financial to gain in implementing this new gpl license or making this deal with woothemes.

But what they got was someone who took the opportunity to get advantage of this situation, redirecting customers to their website and other douche behavior like this.

1579 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
collis Envato team says

Hey guys, locking this thread up so we can centralize all the Q&A over on my new thread!

I don’t think there are too many subdiscussions, apologies if there are – just thought this was the best way to make sure everyone was on the same page regarding answers.

by
by
by
by
by
by