558 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

I’m currently working on a WordCamp session titled “Advice for Selling Themes”, and I wanted to get some feedback from authors on what type of information you might find useful in a session like this.

In other words, what questions would you want answered if you went to this session?

If I use your question, I’ll give you credit during my session :-)

P.S. There’s likely going to be videos of WordCamp Seattle, so I’ll be sure to post a link to it once it’s available.

675 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+11 more
cudazi Envato team says

How to strike a balance between providing unique templates vs sticking with standard layouts to play it safe… (possible sales risk vs creativity)

The largest group starting to purchase WordPress themes is __?

What are 10 features buyers can’t live without?

Can’t wait to see the videos!

3435 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Great suggestions from cudazi. +1 for each of those

I think that addressing best practices for providing support (including documentation) and managing buyer expectations would be very valuable to many authors.

Sounds like a great session – good luck with it! :)

558 posts
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

Great stuff guys!

751 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CyberShot says

I thought about attending the wordcamp seattle, but couldn’t decide if it was worth it. It would be about a 4 hour drive plus the ticket cost.

675 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+11 more
cudazi Envato team says

I thought about attending the wordcamp seattle, but couldn’t decide if it was worth it. It would be about a 4 hour drive plus the ticket cost.

It’s about 22 hours of a drive for me, so I will not be attending. :)

I agree with sevenspark’s comment on support, I would be interested in how the dedicated support forums are going vs. email or other support methods and if that affects a buyer’s decision – whether they’re looking for people with dedicated forums, etc…

3435 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

I think another interested topic to touch on might be the importance of adhering to WordPress standards when coding. I’m not sure if this is necessarily in your scope for this session (perhaps it would just warrant a quick mention), but I think it’s important, especially for developers that may be transitioning from non-CMS development over to WordPress. I find many developers don’t initially understand the importance of coding to a standard to make sure their product “plays nice with others” – especially with modular CMSs like WordPress. For example, the importance of enqueueing styles and scripts properly, using jQuery appropriately (understanding noConflict mode and closures, as well as deregistration if the WP default jQuery library is not being used), namespacing, when it is appropriate to use hooks and filters, etc.

Knowing and adhering to these practices out of the gate can save developers a lot of headaches, especially when it comes to “Your theme doesn’t work with Plugin XYZ ” support requests :)

1148 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
fillerspace says

19 hour drive for me, or 2.5 hour flight…maybe I could put those Alaska Airlines miles to good use!

558 posts
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

19 hour drive for me, or 2.5 hour flight…maybe I could put those Alaska Airlines miles to good use!

It would be AWESOME if some of the ThemeForest community could make it! :-D

40 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Wickedshot says
fillerspace said cudazi said CyberShot said I thought about attending the wordcamp seattle, but couldn’t decide if it was worth it. It would be about a 4 hour drive plus the ticket cost. It’s about 22 hours of a drive for me, so I will not be attending. 19 hour drive for me, or 2.5 hour flight…maybe I could put those Alaska Airlines miles to good use!

Argh! It´s a 8 hours flight for me ;) Great idea by the way!

by
by
by
by
by
by