562 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

Need vs Want

When it comes to WordPress admin panels, are tons of options better, or just the core options needed?

247 posts themesdepot.org
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has referred 10+ members
+6 more
ThemesDepot says

i think giving essential options is better, filling the administration panel with options that would more or less be useless in a template, would likely only cause confusion to the end user…

1875 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
FRESHFACE says

What about:

“The more theme sells, the more options add”

In other words, release a theme with a basic options and if the theme starts to sell very well, you can add more to encourage the sales etc.

Because if you’ve got a theme with little sales, there is no way that adding more options (which takes more of your valuable time) can result in significantly more sales.

But if you’ve got theme which sells very good, that’s a whole different story – you can pump that cash cow as much as you can ;)

562 posts
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

I get what you’re saying, but you’re assuming more options are better.

What I’m trying to figure out is if more options really are better.

Take the iPhone for example. It does a lot, but it doesn’t do EVERYTHING . Is that bad though? Apple usually takes the stance that “we’ll give them what WE want to give them because people don’t know what they really want” (not a direct quote, just a hypothetical theory).

659 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
luckykind says
What about:

In other words, release a theme with a basic options and if the theme starts to sell very well, you can add more to encourage the sales etc.

Because if you’ve got a theme with little sales, there is no way that adding more options (which takes more of your valuable time) can result in significantly more sales.

But if you’ve got theme which sells very good, that’s a whole different story – you can pump that cash cow as much as you can ;)

+1 – This guy makes sense… I think he’s going to go far…

1875 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
FRESHFACE says

I get what you’re saying, but you’re assuming more options are better.

What I’m trying to figure out is if more options really are better.

Take the iPhone for example. It does a lot, but it doesn’t do EVERYTHING . Is that bad though? Apple usually takes the stance that “we’ll give them what WE want to give them because people don’t know what they really want” (not a direct quote, just a hypothetical theory).

Ah, sorry man, now I get what was your original point. Well in this case buyers don’t have to see the admin panel before purchase – when they are buying iphone they know what it is because they’ve already had it in hands.

I think it’s really hard to decide this. Logically it’s not good to have one or another. This more comes down to some kind of compromise, like having a “main screen” with basic settings and then having an “advance screen” with more and advanced options. But this again comes down to how good your theme sells so you won’t waste much time on it.

562 posts
+17 more
theMOLITOR says
This more comes down to some kind of compromise…

I would agree with this. Progressive enhancement (depending on sales volume) is a great idea.

41 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
timstl says

I recently built a theme with a TON of options. So far sales aren’t too great—only about 2 per day. The main reason I built this, though, was because I wanted to really dive in and learn everything I could about WordPress themeing, and how to really create something flexible. I pretty much added every single idea I have come up with over the last 6 months, and now for the future I know how to code those things if I need to.

I don’t want to say the bare minimum is better for sales, though. I think there is a middle ground. In the future what I’m going to do is outline every option I can think of, and then start removing stuff that only adds value for a handful of people. In the end you end up with some good, useful admin options without overloading the user.

380 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
celtathemes says

I think that less options is better.

Sometimes it is hard to remember that our clients do not know as much as we do. Some of them only know a small % of what Wordpress offers.

129 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Ireland
+5 more
OllieMcCarthy says

Interesting thread. I put a ton of options in my latest theme and it seems to have worked out ok. I don’t know if I’ll put as many options in my next theme as it eats up a ridiculous amount of time coding them in.

You have to ask – Is having a bucket-load of options a selling point for the majority of buyers?

Also, you have to ask – How do I weigh up putting in such a huge amount of time(ie. options) into something that is essentially a gamble?

These are some of the things I’m asking myself as I design my new theme.

by
by
by
by
by
by