162 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
ponjoh says
Thank you all. But what is really annoying in my opinion, that many people in these authors’ threads (below their themes, the comments) don’t give ANY answer and even respond to e-mails by the contact form. If they don’t want to offer updates to WP 2 .9 … ok, but no reactions over weeks (since end of November) to anybody? No go …
We all understand your concern, but authors are not required to provide support. That’s one of the reasons the themes here are so cheap. A lot of the authors here have full time jobs, so they might not have the time to provide support. But it is encouraged of course.
206 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
mlando says

I have a few themes that were built for WP2 .6 but still work in 2.9 so have not updated them… So removing themes that don’t say 2.9 may be more than just reading the requirements.

I think it is also worth mentioning that sending a message via email is a more direct root to the author. Bouncing around to each theme’s board becomes more difficult to find time for, especially when authors have many themes available. email is usually checked more often.

242 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ATLChris says

I have a theme that is Wordpress 2.9 ready, the reviewer is just being really tough and is not accepting it (Form Thread About It: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/simply-colorful-theme-i-need-your-help/20812). Older themes should still work fine, they just wont take advantage of the new Wordpress 2.9 functionality.

The new post thumbnails are really great.

9 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
jhmattern says

It’s wordpress’s fault. There is no reason a theme shouldn’t work after a upgrade. Wordpress needs to update so everything continues to work properly while introducing better features and changes.

9 posts
jhmattern says

sorry double post.

2541 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CreatingDrew says
It’s wordpress’s fault. There is no reason a theme shouldn’t work after a upgrade. Wordpress needs to update so everything continues to work properly while introducing better features and changes.
At some point, in the very far future, backwards compatibility has to be dropped, or else we would all still be designing templates to work in IE5 and Netscape :D

I do agree that WP tends to release new versions and updates a little too often, it’s a sacrifice of a little more work and upgrades in return for quick bug fixes and better security (to the WP core).

faevilangel_designs
faevilangel_designs Recent Posts Threads Started
83 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
faevilangel_designs says
At some point, in the very far future, backwards compatibility has to be dropped, or else we would all still be designing templates to work in IE5 and Netscape :D I do agree that WP tends to release new versions and updates a little too often, it’s a sacrifice of a little more work and upgrades in return for quick bug fixes and better security (to the WP core).

I have found 90% of themes work between all the wp versions (cept the early stuff).

I have double checked all my clients themes after upgrading them to 2.9 and not had one issue yet. The themes aren’t as technical as here, mostly bog standard html converted but it does whoelly depend on the coding from the author.

I’m gonna be blunt to the op,

you pay less than $40 for a theme. When i create a theme for a client i charge a minimum of $600. Then they pay for extra stuff like features, etc. I don’t charge for bug fixes, but have never had one appear on wp (cept when they install some new plugins).

It;s xmas so not everyone will be working to fix old themes to 2.9, and a lot of authors here have full time jobs elsehwhere or at school.

You have a few options 1) Wait till they get around to updating the themes. 2) Pay someone to fix the issues for you 3) Ditch the theme and buy a new one that is compatible.

Quit moaning as you pay very little for a lot, the authors will get around to it when they can.

by
by
by
by
by
by