2 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
Koujin says

As a little background, I’ve designed standalone websites and worked on backend functionality before coming into Wordpress.

The problem is, whenever I think about developing website-structured themes for Wordpress, my learning (from either the web, books or browsing through the code of others) always tends to slow down when I start thinking about the concept of pages and posts and that I’m essentially styling a website on top of a system built for blogs.

For instance, on front-pages, there’s not really any specific block of content text, just individual sections with small pieces of information or pictures or big button sections to take you somewhere else, would these be widgets or short-codes? How does the concept of pages/posts link into this type of structure? (forgive my complete noobiness, I’ve only just started looking into shortcodes and haven’t really looked into widgets yet.)

I guess the real question I’m asking is if there’s any resources that would help explain the process of designing a website through wordpress instead of the blog-type layout.

Sorry if this is a confusing or ridiculous question, but I figured I’d break into this account with a question, since I didn’t exactly know where to look and couldn’t find anything when I did. Thanks for any responses.

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

There are many ways to make a page modular. The THING now is using “page builders”. There are some cool stuff out here. even free.

2 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
Koujin says

There are many ways to make a page modular. The THING now is using “page builders”. There are some cool stuff out here. even free.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll definitely look into some stuff about modular development and page builders.

114 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
mountainthemes says

Page builders, custom post types, custom fields and page templates.

by
by
by
by
by
by