16 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
midnetdesigns says

Our new theme is in building for about 5 months now, so excuse me but do not add us with the bunch because we are not like most authors. We want to be unique and as good as we can. I am just sayin that a 5$ would have been okey and first of all, do a campain with buyers to see what they think about this. I hope that the future is not as bad as i think it to be. A lot of themes, with high prices are some of them lack any premium theme features or quality. What can i say, i hope we did not spend this much work for a grim future.

I’m not trying to pick on you or any authors but this is what i have noticed and have read in the forums and just watching the market place. i wouldn’t have mind a 5 dollar increase but when you see some thing for $25 jump to $55 which is a $30 dollar increase you start thinking and watching what you do and whats going on because that one item almost tripled in price over night which has buyers worried and on guard. Besides that i cant even keep up with the new items their are too many added daily.

10 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
LeilasLass says

I may have to reverse my earlier statement, I was just looking for a new theme and and really noticed the prices, the majority of them are simply way over-priced. Is really thinking of creating my own from now on with RICHWP , Thesis or or Ultimatum. I just can not justify paying 50-55 dollars for themes that look almost the same when I can use those mentioned to create unique ones. It is scary for me, but has always wanted to do that since I started working with WP, and now I have the incentive. And after learning a great deal from some of my favorite authors here, and seeing the a few of the beautiful and creative things they have done, perhaps one day I will be as good as I think some of you guys are, so maybe this was a good thing for me, it may be just the kick in the butt I needed.Thanks Envato!

786 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
Dream-Theme says

I may have to reverse my earlier statement, I was just looking for a new theme and and really noticed the prices, the majority of them are simply way over-priced. Is really thinking of creating my own from now on with RICHWP , Thesis or or Ultimatum. I just can not justify paying 50-55 dollars for themes that look almost the same when I can use those mentioned to create unique ones. It is scary for me, but has always wanted to do that since I started working with WP, and now I have the incentive. And after learning a great deal from some of my favorite authors here, and seeing the a few of the beautiful and creative things they have done, perhaps one day I will be as good as I think some of you guys are, so maybe this was a good thing for me, it may be just the kick in the butt I needed.Thanks Envato!

Hey, You’ve bought over 50 items on Envato marketplaces. You know that these purchases saved you lot of your time. Now. Do you think that creating a theme will cost you less than 55 bucks?

Well, from time-to-time some rip-offs are appearing here. And even them are more costly to create :)

Personally I’m not happy with new reviewing policy. But that’s my problem. The fact is that most of ThemeForest items are remaining best in terms of price and quality on whole WP themes market. I think, no one can deny that.

The only thing authors have to wary about is sales decrease due to increased level of piracy (I think that many potential buyers now will be simply downloading themes from “bad sites”). But that’s how all software industry works. No drama.

1677 posts Envato Elite Author
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
Tean says

As somebody already mentioned, sales are down from last week even on codecanyon. I guess the summer is starting to kick in.

I am pretty sure sales on wp templates are now going to dip down a little, at least maybe just for a while, since certain percentage of buyers are not going to like file price increase. The question is why was the price increase was so ‘intense’, they could have just raised the prices by a small amount, 10-20%, it would still affect the authors positively.

Also, as people are mentioning high number of themes appearing daily, which reminds me of the same discussions we used to have at activeden, this ought to be normal, as more and more new authors are coming here, resulting in more and more files, and you cant expect every new theme to get high amount of sales immediately in this sea of new files. I guess this is something all authors will have going to deal with.

6085 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

If prices were already this high no one would be complaining.

Started feeling the same. Due to competition between different marketplace vendors, the total industry slapped with wrong picture about amount of work behind and the result is always forcing more support hours from authors. Btw, another slap is from browser and device makers :impatient:

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in United States
otggamer says

a $10 increase is too big a pill to swallow.

Come on, man… lol

I can’t imagine your reaction, then, if you hired a developer for custom work and was quoted $1000+

I wouldn’t hire them ;)

I highly customize each theme I purchase here (and elsewhere) to fit my exact needs, putting it a lot of my own time as I cannot afford to hire outside help. What bugs me the most is that I was literally planning to purchase the theme on Monday (I was away for the weekend). When you see an across the board price hike by $10 to $30 w/o any warning, it is a bit of a slap in the face to the buyers. I’ve always thought the “fee” for not having a credit balance was ridiculous , but for me, this was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

A warning would have been appreciated or a more gradual increase in prices. Don’t get me wrong, I agree that with the amount of support that the authors have to give they prob deserve more money for their themes, but the way that this was handled is terrible. Could I pay $10 more, sure, but for me it is a matter of principle.

I’m hoping that that the powers that be have some sort of coupon code or one-day or weekend sale is offered to existing customers so that we can still pickup our wishlist items at the old prices.

I’m curious to see the fallout from this. Sure TF has an awesome selection of WP themes, but despite the comments I’ve seen from some of the Authors, TF is NOT the only game in town.

25 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
themedutch says

Hi guys!

We all think it’s a good thing what you did here on Themeforest. It certainly took a lot of time and effort to review the themes all over again and to set up a new pricing range. This past year, the quality of a lot available themes is greatly improved, and it becomes clearer for buyers to decide which theme they want or need to buy. Themes with original designs, a lot of features or extra functionalities certainly may cost more. It’s important that we authors think customer-oriented and provides what our buyers (and end users) exactly need. To express the differences in price helps them to make a better choice in advance and prevents disappointments. And, authors need to think even more marketing-oriented to remain compliant to the needs of buyers.

Cheers! Theme Dutch team

2 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
WindyCityFella says

Sales not going so good for anybody. Am i the only one who is seeing this? Maybe i am just paranoid, but before this you should really have made a survey for buyers. They are some nice themes out now, for some time with 0 sales. This is not good.

Its easy to understand yall complain about items being too cheap then they increased the prices and ya still say it takes weeks to develop and the prices should be higher to the buyers but ya keep releasing themes left and right i saw 3 new themes from one author in 2 days.

I was buying items all them time to play with and never use now there just setting unused on my downloads list. With the price increase buyers like me are now watch what we spend. Looks like some authors got greedy now they are going to have to adjust with the drop in income.

I was going to buy a theme myself last Friday but was too tired i returned Monday to buy it and the price when from $25 to $55 which made me pass it up. You guys keep saying it like a dinner on a Friday night. Man Ive never spent that much on a restaurant outing on myself. Besides i dont go out to eat the cost are to much when you have 4 mouths to feed then a outing would be over $75. SO i hope the increases was worth it. I know some buyers will still buy but most will go else were or just watch what they spend. I for one have a another idea in mind.

Yes, agree, it would have been much better for all, and probably have eliminated most of the feelings here if there had been prior warning that the cost of the themes were going to rise and a ballpark percentage figure given.
Like you I had been evaluating a theme last week with the intention of purchasing it this week but was a bit shocked to see that it had risen in price from $35 to $50. A $5 initial increase I could easily have accepted, but not the bigger jump.
I think that the customer service from ThemeForest was poor on this occassion

162 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
anariel7 says

Thank you Envato! And thanks to jonathan01 for starting discussion about it!

Welcome bud – as I said then, a price increase was needed, and thankfully we got some sympathetic ears at Envato to listen :)

Hopefully soon they will review the other categories which are also in the same state.

Jonathan

Thanks to jonathan01 for starting this, reviewers for the big amount of work and to the Envato,great job. I agree with Jonathan and hope that other categories will get higher prices, because this is not just marketplace for WordPress themes.To create,for example,great site template you spend the same time and effort as for the WordPress theme…

10 posts
LeilasLass says

Hey, You’ve bought over 50 items on Envato marketplaces. You know that these purchases saved you lot of your time. Now. Do you think that creating a theme will cost you less than 55 bucks?

Well, from time-to-time some rip-offs are appearing here. And even them are more costly to create :)

Personally I’m not happy with new reviewing policy. But that’s my problem. The fact is that most of ThemeForest items are remaining best in terms of price and quality on whole WP themes market. I think, no one can deny that.

The only thing authors have to wary about is sales decrease due to increased level of piracy (I think that many potential buyers now will be simply downloading themes from “bad sites”). But that’s how all software industry works. No drama.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, ( I sometimes am not able to explain my train of thought just right, that’s my fault ) I was actually giving all of the authors a compliment and big thank you. Just because I will endeavor to be more creative on my own, does not mean that I will not purchase things here again, or do not appreciate the things I have received in the past. Quite a few of my past purchases were to see what the theme did, and many of those have never actually been implemented on a site. I bought them because I liked them and wanted to ” play about ” with them. I will be less likely to buy as often as I did before because of the price increases, and far more likely to build my own to ” play around with ”. My Thanks Envato really was a sincere Thank You, I needed this incentive.

by
by
by
by
by
by