2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

who said they needed to roll prices back…. huh!??

6024 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

graphic4444, the moment the price goes down here, it will reflect on other places too and we will see a vicious circle. Pricing is not something infinitly crunch-able. Within the last century, many industries just collapsed due to non serious reduction habits. You pointed about different pricing model as example but who knows how consistent it will be in the long run.

Regarding WP themes, it is already a delayed increment. We need to avoid slavery and gamble. ;)

272 posts New Elite in Town!
  • Won a competition
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
icypixels says

Actually, ThemeForest made a move that was long due.

Considering the way the current themes are built, you buy a space shuttle priced at 50$.

Also, less support, more money = more time for developing quality & unique WordPress Themes. Maybe this article should be a good reference of why cheap customers actually cost more.

3243 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

don’t forget developers have to buy new devices just for testing…

“why isn’t the site working on my microdriodapple 10,2,4.1234,23.11 inch device….”

6024 posts
+8 more
VF says

^ yeah, that fact was not even discussed or considered recently which is surprising. Addition to the device costs, the amount of time spent on device specific patch works have huge value.

7576 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

don’t forget developers have to buy new devices just for testing… “why isn’t the site working on my microdriodapple 10,2,4.1234,23.11 inch device….”

hardware, software, devices all this cost a lot of money

6024 posts
+8 more
VF says

^ Hardware software cost in general is not an issue. The change happened in the recent 3-4 years on web which requires more than average testing (especially for mobile / tablets) is the serious factor.

1012 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
purethemes says

Actually I’ve just checked it, the number of sales will be the same or even more than last month – but I’ve got one featured item so it might be a reason for that. I needed 30 sales less to make the same amount of money as previous month – that’s a big difference for me as it could be 30 less mails from 30 begginers who needs to have explained how to use theme ;) I’m exaggerating – I don’t get mail from each buyer, but it’s still less “free” support work for me.

And if I could find 5 people each month who would pay 1k$ for my theme, I’d be happier to sell it to 5 people for that than to 200 for 50$ ;)

13 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
fogger says

I’m one of envato’s top buyers. And from a buyers’ perspective… there’s many competitors’ theme subscription sites where for $100 or so I can get dozens of decent themes, with unlimited site license. and those include dedicated forums with responsive, fast support.

google “wordpress themes” and you’ll see there’s lots of great theme sites, many which give you 20-30 themes (most are mediocre, but there are often at least 2-3 themes that are well worth getting), that for a full year you get dozens of themes and unlimited site usage license And great support on forums by the developers.

for $50-$100 elsewhere I can get 20-30 good themes that are usable on unlimited of my sites and get guaranteed support-forum detailed support (often within 24 hours, at most major WP theme subscription-plan based sites) and new themes added monthly, all included for the money… please get more competitive on pricing and/or licensing and/or support.

envato will continue to attract great theme developers, so that’s a plus… it’s just as loyal buyers (especially us ‘power buyers’), it would be good to get better support forums with dedicated fast response like your competitors offer, and less restrictive licensing, and more competitive pricing. I won’t be spending much on themes here at $50 each; in this global recession with bad economic times, charging more money than competitors probably isn’t a good idea.

Well maybe you have a point I just was told by 2 customers that they want themes from GPP and SP.. The reason I post this is I often recommend TF authors I support to clients but in the end it might have been price this time..Let me say I am not 100% sure..that is was price..I still support the authors here I have found to be the best of the best..this antidote from my client is just a fyi..45$ over all is not bad for the best themes here at TF..

332 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
CLINE123 says

Lest we forget. TF is the big dog…at the moment. When you’re at the top you take that to fortify and fend off, not take it around for a spin to see what it could do. Now you have buyers browsing elsewhere when they might not have so much. I was not too thrilled there was no grace period till the new prices went in effect either…bad PR and does not foster loyalty.

by
by
by
by
by
by