• Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
+1 more
omarabid says

Perhaps ThemeForest is too strongly associated with WordPress?

This situation is the buyer’s fault, but Envato’s problem. Everyone is responsible for their own knowledge. It’s not the kindest truth, but I don’t think putting “Not WordPress compatible” tags on everything is the solution.

That only perpetrates the WordPress-centricity of ThemeForest.

I hear what you’re saying. Maybe this is why the “new member” videos would work best. Because if an author sells Joomla plugins, they probably don’t want to draw attention to WP in any way.

The video idea would take some work but I think it could pay off in the long run because it could cover so many things that would be important to a new buyer.

I guess they won’t watch it. Just a guess.

5229 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+9 more
KingDog Staff says

Perhaps ThemeForest is too strongly associated with WordPress?

This situation is the buyer’s fault, but Envato’s problem. Everyone is responsible for their own knowledge. It’s not the kindest truth, but I don’t think putting “Not WordPress compatible” tags on everything is the solution.

That only perpetrates the WordPress-centricity of ThemeForest.

I hear what you’re saying. Maybe this is why the “new member” videos would work best. Because if an author sells Joomla plugins, they probably don’t want to draw attention to WP in any way.

The video idea would take some work but I think it could pay off in the long run because it could cover so many things that would be important to a new buyer.

I would say that’s the biggest obstacle we’re facing. No matter how obvious we make it, there’s no guarantee that buyers will use it or see it. Japh has been working on some new training materials, and we looking closing at our UX to make some changes across the Marketplaces.

3072 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

Here is an idea: Make this area more visible.. or add it also in the main Item Info.

That is pretty much the only text that officially tells in what type of theme is displayed, except other small text from item table that says the cms version compatible.
I think a good idea is to have a special field, a highlighted area that says what type of CMS the current theme is using. Wordpress, Joomla, No Cms – HTML template, Custom, etc.

CMS : Wordpress.

5313 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

I would say that’s the biggest obstacle we’re facing. No matter how obvious we make it, there’s no guarantee that buyers will use it or see it. Japh has been working on some new training materials, and we looking closing at our UX to make some changes across the Marketplaces.

If the user is shown an introduction video when they sign up, they’ll see it. Maybe they don’t watch it, but at least an effort was made on our part to help create a high quality buying experience.

Another reason why I think an introductory video would be great is for navigating the site. As regular users we forget what it’s like to encounter the marketplaces for the first time. But if we think back to some of the big overhauls Envato’s done over time, there was always a learning curve involved to get used to the new changes. So the curve is there, we just don’t see it.

13 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • United Kingdom
Krypto4 says

It also helps if Authors upload their contents into the correct category. I’ve seen a couple of WP items on CC uploaded to php Scripts/Misc instead of WP/Misc.

These were reported and Support said they’d move them to the correct category yet they are still listed in the wrong category :(

167 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
enFusionThemes says

Well I think we are in a very debatable problem here. We can not say anything whether the buyers are responsible or not.

For example, if we say that there is very less information on an item page to represent if its a HTML template or a CMS theme. This can be true but again there are so many things which represents what an item is actually and i do not thing so many things can be missed at one.

1- At the navigation, the buyer can clearly see there is a separate tab/menu for “WordPress” which is different from site templates. So they will know just by landing on the website that there is a difference.

2- Just as wickedpixel has mentioned, there is this breadcrumb which allows buyers to see where they are and understand that they are not in the right category so they can not expect a WordPress Theme Here.

3- If the buyer is referred through a link, then he can clearly read the item title. Which never says “WordPress” when its not a WordPress theme.

And also, neither we nor envato stuff really know the faith of the buyer, so I do not thing a refund is possible. What if they need a site template and buy it, once they download it, then they will ask for refund. If this starts working for them then I do not think they will ever get charged for any theme they buy here.

Possible Solution:

1- Since buyers are too lazy to read, may be just like the badges, we make small icons of the WordPress, Drupal and other popular CMS and have something like this.

“This Item is Compatible With” And below this, we can have the WordPress icon. This way they do not have to read anything, just seeing it and they will know what this theme is all about. And if the same theme is available in multiple CMS , we can say.

“This Item is also available on” And below we have icon of the next CMS with the correct link. Once they click, they will go to the correct CMS theme they want.

2- The referral problem, if we do not want these sites to link to our products with their referral links. Then there should be a setting which can allow us to mention which usernames can use our items with their referral ID, like a “Safe List”. This way, only people we know like our friends can get the benefit and these sites will soon stop doing this once they find out they are not earning anything. In other words, anyone else out of this list no matter how many referrals he send, the referral code should not work.

What you guys think?

by
by
by
by
by
by