• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

So if your design is similar, you cannot have same lines. However if the design is different, we can have the same functions?

I think either/or, no-one would be having this conversation.

Design is similar but no code looks duplicated (we all know this happens a lot), or…

Same functions, code similar (but not a direct copy) but design completely different…

Either of these and your theme would probably still be live, but to have very similar (almost identical) design and snippets of code referencing their theme is a bit of a no-brainer.

Taking a step back from the GPL issue and look at the rest of your items.

All quite nice and functional but (and I mean this politely) fairly simple in terms of design flair, then along comes Bouncy. In terms of design flair and skill, it is streets ahead of anything you had done before.

I’ve been a designer for over 15 years and know from experience that we all have our own unique style, take your last 2 items in your portfolio (Apartment & Pupa), they both have the same design fingerprint. Bouncy did not.

I’ve read this thread with interest and think it is useful to us all, personally I think theme approvals should be stricter in terms of similar looking and similar featured themes.

I am not the designer of bouncy, my friend Aykut Y?lmaz is. http://dribbble.com/aykutyilmaz

107 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
themespirit says

So if your design is similar, you cannot have same lines. However if the design is different, we can have the same functions?

I think either/or, no-one would be having this conversation.

Design is similar but no code looks duplicated (we all know this happens a lot), or…

Same functions, code similar (but not a direct copy) but design completely different…

Either of these and your theme would probably still be live, but to have very similar (almost identical) design and snippets of code referencing their theme is a bit of a no-brainer.

Taking a step back from the GPL issue and look at the rest of your items.

All quite nice and functional but (and I mean this politely) fairly simple in terms of design flair, then along comes Bouncy. In terms of design flair and skill, it is streets ahead of anything you had done before.

I’ve been a designer for over 15 years and know from experience that we all have our own unique style, take your last 2 items in your portfolio (Apartment & Pupa), they both have the same design fingerprint. Bouncy did not.

I’ve read this thread with interest and think it is useful to us all, personally I think theme approvals should be stricter in terms of similar looking and similar featured themes.
I am not the designer of bouncy, my friend Aykut Y?lmaz is. http://dribbble.com/aykutyilmaz

Apologies, my mistake. I was not aware of that fact.

270 posts New Elite in Town!
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Romania
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
icypixels says

Then your friend, Mr. Yilmaz, was a bit too much inspired by the design of Salient and you were a bit too much inspired by Salient’s code, which happened to include a modified version of ThemeZilla’s ZillaShortcode, with elements like a Pricing Table.

529 posts
  • Estonia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
kriskorn says

Hello,

As a bystander I have only a few things to say. GPL or no GPL, this was wrong. Kriesi released his code publicly in his blog, you copied from ThemeNectar’s theme files. See the difference ? Design was too similar and then exact same code was found. This is simple and case closed.

In my opinion you are very lucky to still be an author on Themeforest.

All the best,
Kris

2506 posts Community Officer
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
+15 more
contrastblack Staff says

Hey guys,

I’m sorry I’ll have to disable this now, as the discussion was anything but one-sided. Calling out other users, with new or known usernames alike, however, is still not permitted as per Forum Rules.

That being said, fuelthemes, should you wish to continue this discussion, I’d kindly ask you to do this through the appropriate channels (Support ticket/s).

Thank you for your understanding. Locked

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
Japh Staff says

Hey guys, just wanted to update you quickly, the issue you raised with the live preview iframe banner has been resolved.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

by
by
by
by
by
by