426 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
SimpleSites4U says

The subject in question is code, a code protected by GPL. Not design. If you are looking for design similarities, look at this newly accepted item: http://themeforest.net/item/classico-responsive-retina-multipurpose-theme/4974485

Oh look, same portfolio page?
http://demo.lioit.com/classico/portfolio/ark-design-logo/
http://themes.fuelthemes.net/bouncy/portfolio/montana-94/

Oh look the same recent clients? Check the images :)
http://demo.lioit.com/classico/
http://themes.fuelthemes.net/bouncy/

I can file a DMCA now, cant I?

I cant comprehend the double standards on Themeforest.

Yikes, this is quite startling!

I cant speak for anyone else, but this kind of thing makes me wonder why I dont just follow suit and simply buy a theme from here, change a few bits here and there and then upload it to TF as my own

Its annoyed me really as im really striving to get my own designed accepted here and working so so hard to crack it, but when you show comparisons such as this, it makes me think why am I even trying

Personal integrity I guess

1277 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says
626 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
Dream-Theme says

I cant speak for anyone else, but this kind of thing makes me wonder why I dont just follow suit and simply buy a theme from here, change a few bits here and there and then upload it to TF as my own

For last 1,5 years many DO :( Join the club…

426 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
SimpleSites4U says

For last 1,5 years many DO :( Join the club…

Im not gonna lie its so tempting

I know my theme is rubbish, but its my own, thats for sure

(its being rewritten in my spare time ready for an overhaul)

626 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
Dream-Theme says

I don’t know about you guys, but I eager to hear official statements from Envato. Why some authors can do such things and others don’t?..

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

@fuelthemes, this is simple and straight and that’s why DMCA isn’t necessary. Without this restriction it would be impossible to run a marketplace with multiple authors contribution.

GPL is GPL. You either apply it or not. That’s how we upload our items. This is the promise given by Envato.

GPL stands for “General Public License”. ANY PHP CODE uploaded to THEMEFOREST is actually PUBLIC CODE.

Yes, there is a difference between removing an item due to internal policy and copyright infringement. If a 3rd party like Envato doesn’t tolerate similarities in code (between internal authors), that doesn’t mean violating GPL but may be called as violating spirit – like how it was pointed earlier. It is a violation only when action made through DMCA.

488 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
+3 more
pixelentity says

imo, you are mixing objective legal issues with mythical in house rules. GPL is GPL, and restricting it is law infringement. Most awful is that those “in house rules” are being applied only to some of us (while do not to others).
Just because your item is GPL, it doesn’t mean envato is obliged to sell it. In fact, they can remove it at will, anytime and without giving you a reason.
626 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
Dream-Theme says

@fuelthemes, this is simple and straight and that’s why DMCA isn’t necessary. Without this restriction it would be impossible to run a marketplace with multiple authors contribution.

GPL is GPL. You either apply it or not. That’s how we upload our items. This is the promise given by Envato.

GPL stands for “General Public License”. ANY PHP CODE uploaded to THEMEFOREST is actually PUBLIC CODE.

imo, you are mixing objective legal issues with mythical in house rules. GPL is GPL, and restricting it is law infringement. Most awful is that those “in house rules” are being applied only to some of us (while do not to others).
Just because your item is GPL, it doesn’t mean envato is obliged to sell it. In fact, they can remove it at will, anytime and without giving you a reason.
Yes, there is a difference between removing an item due to internal policy and copyright infringement. If a 3rd party like Envato doesn’t tolerate similarities in code (between internal authors), that doesn’t mean violating GPL but may be called as violating spirit – like how it was pointed earlier. It is a violation only when action made through DMCA.

Why half of TF items was not removed then??

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Why half of TF items was not removed then??

Probably no one complained others and feels safe with that level of similarities?

Your question isn’t about copyright or legalities but the trend and policy. That’s why the subjective grey assumptions are inevitable.

1277 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

So If I see a new theme that could be a competitor to my popular selling theme, I complain about it and it gets removed?

by
by
by
by
by
by