• Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

As a side note:
+ Don’t you use the pixelentity-theme-update? We use it as well! It is class released publicly isn’t it?
+ Don’t you use the Kriesi ’s pagination code?

Yes, i am using both Fabio’s and Kiersi’s work, but they have released their code so that everyone can use it. Kriesi posted the code on his blog for anyone to use, while Fabio opened a thread here and offered his code as a freebie. I have not ripped any of their themes searching for custom code which i can use.

75 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
themespirit says

Im not gonna lie its so tempting

I know my theme is rubbish, but its my own, thats for sure

(its being rewritten in my spare time ready for an overhaul)

Don’t be hard on yourself mate, at least you’ve got one on here, I’m still trying to find time to build mine.

And if it’s 100% built by yourself from the ground up, then you should be proud of that fact.

1275 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

As a side note:
+ Don’t you use the pixelentity-theme-update? We use it as well! It is class released publicly isn’t it?
+ Don’t you use the Kriesi ’s pagination code?
Yes, i am using both Fabio’s and Kiersi’s work, but they have released their code so that everyone can use it. Kriesi posted the code on his blog for anyone to use, while Fabio opened a thread here and offered his code as a freebie. I have not ripped any of their themes searching for custom code which i can use.

GPL is PUBLIC CODE, which means it is released to the PUBLIC. All PHP code in Wordpress is GPL.

This plugin in quetion is 100% GPL: http://www.themezilla.com/announcing-zillashortcodes/

Its not any of the authors to claim. You can not claim similarity even if its a modified version of the GPL. You can put your name inside and say its yours forever.

Its not even yours to make a complaint, get it? How can the other author can make a complaint about this? Its modified PHP files of a GPL plugin.

That being said, if Kriesi makes a complaint about your items, Ruben, they’ll get removed. GPL license and making a blog post is the same thing. PUBLIC

5541 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

@fuelthemes if it is just with code, you have benefits from GPL side to argue (I still doubt if how legal it is with internal polices). But can you confirm the item removed only because of code and not due to design? (as you pointed the same before)

For me, if an author has design that’s resembles from an complaining author and the code seems to be slightly copy/pasted, then the code becomes an evidence of design copy. I know this is not related to legalities or license but big common sense which is enough to remove an item or reject an item.

Also you could be a victim of coincidence (on design) but in those cases, I would spend time speaking with complaining author instead of seeking the GPL benefits. I say this just because you pointed about previous issue on design.

488 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
+3 more
pixelentity says

Why half of TF items was not removed then??
why a lot of people do not pay taxes ?

if you get caught, pointing your finger while saying “he didn’t pay as well” won’t help.
1275 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

Hi VF, I would surely would not have said anything if the code similarity is beyond a single file , or was in theme files that change the front-end look.

Tthe design was not given as a reason.

We had an issue with design before, so we had to change some bits. Most people thought it was unfair as our theme, visible here, http://themes.fuelthemes.net/bouncy/ is quite different.

488 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
+3 more
pixelentity says

The issue is not GPL related, nor related to themezilla’s plugin, the issue is only about Envato’s house rules, which you broke by including 6 lines of code copied from another author’s work, sold on the marketplace. It’s that simple.

Envato can make whatever house rules they wish, and if you want to sell themes here, then you need to accept them and play by them, otherwise your themes will not be allowed on the marketplaces. These rules apply to all of us.

If items exist on TF who’s code is similarly copied from another author’s TF work, without their permission, then the only reason they are still online is because either the original author is unaware of it, Envato are unaware of it and it managed to sneak past the review process.

3058 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
wickedpixel says

The problem is, once you are given as example, you can’t escape. Because things can really get out of control. It’s a nice market… and a border line needs to be kept or else everything can go really bad. My advice is to repair the file and don’t make it sound like everyone needs to be free to copy everyone’s code.

1275 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

Guys I would totally agree with you if it wasn’t 6 lines that originate from a public plugin.

If it was a theme file or let’s say a whole file, I would not have the face to open a thread.

1275 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

The problem is, once you are given as example, you can’t escape. Because things can really get out of control. It’s a nice market… and a border line needs to be kept or else everything can go really bad. My advice is to repair the file and don’t make it sound like everyone needs to be free to copy everyone’s code.

Wish it was like that. No option to repair. It was hard removed.

by
by
by
by
by
by