• Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Tthe design was not given as a reason.

We had an issue with design before, so we had to change some bits. Most people thought it was unfair as our theme, visible here, http://themes.fuelthemes.net/bouncy/ is quite different.

Unfortunate, because it would be impossible to convince someone who believes there is design similarity as well as later finds own piece of code on yours – still after changing the design on request. You got a chance to change once, now no surprise about hard removal.

1715 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

@pixelentity He didn’t copy code from another theme, he used some code from a GPL plugin, I can’t see any problem with that. Just like lots of authors use Kriesi’s functions or some plugins like nivo slider, which are GPL, directly in the theme, the same situation happens here. What’s the difference?

1466 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

If it was copied from public plugin, what is this doing in there?

NECTAR_THEME_NAME 
?
1317 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

If it was copied from public plugin, what is this doing in there?
NECTAR_THEME_NAME 
?

So as long as you change the name, everything is ok? So from now on, people will change the name and every work is original.

You guys don’t understand GPL. I can write ORIGINALEXE_THEME_NAME. It does not mean its yours or any other people’s work. Its not stolen if its GPL, meaning Public.

Just because someone added translation phrase:

'title'=>__('Pricing Table', NECTAR_THEME_NAME )

Does not make it original.

So how many people has this in their themes?

_e( 'Read More',  THEME_NAME ) 

It’s GNU gettext function, which is also GPL:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html
1715 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

I wrote my message based on what he said in his messages, about the “NECTAR_THEME_NAME ”, if it’s from another theme, then yes, that’s probably not accepted by Envato, but that shouldn’t have passed the review. Accepting it only to remove it at a later date is NOT OK.

@fueltheme the problem is that you didn’t have BFDSOGKDFSOGKDS_THEME_NAME, but NECTAR_THEME_NAME which is from another theme and it clearly shows that you got it from that specific theme, which is prohibited. If you had BLABLABLA_THEME_NAME, nobody would’ve said anything

148 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
loveetc says

Your theme was removed earlier because it was was looking very much same to the other theme (yes, even the very small details such as blog posts, meta and widgets). And even then you were playing victim here but later it was enabled again and it was given place on homepage again, which many authors thought was unfair.

In the start of the topic you were insisting that you only used Themezilla GPL plugin, later someone mentioned about this translation string. How we know that there is not more copied code in your theme?

You are using GPL as an excuse to steal code from others. Would you like if someone just takes your code (if you have any of your own), and starts selling it?

1317 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

I wrote my message based on what he said in his messages, about the “NECTAR_THEME_NAME ”, if it’s from another theme, then yes, that’s probably not accepted by Envato, but that shouldn’t have passed the review. Accepting it only to remove it at a later date is NOT OK. @fueltheme the problem is that you didn’t have BFDSOGKDFSOGKDS_THEME_NAME, but NECTAR_THEME_NAME which is from another theme and it clearly shows that you got it from that specific theme, which is prohibited. If you had BLABLABLA_THEME_NAME, nobody would’ve said anything

And I would have changed it if it wasn’t GPL and originated from a GPL plugin.

6 words guys. We are talking about 249 theme files, and 6 words?

Your theme was removed earlier because it was was looking very much same to the other theme (yes, even the very small details such as blog posts, meta and widgets). And even then you were playing victim here but later it was enabled again and it was given place on homepage again, which many authors thought was unfair. You are using GPL as an excuse to steal code from others. Would you like if someone just takes your code (if you have any of your own), and starts selling it?

Yeah, except GPL code can not be copied. I would agree with you if it was theme files, but not shortcode generator code released to public.

1466 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

@fuelthemes

All this talk is just because you don’t understand this:

1. You can use GPL code in your theme and noone will say anything
  2. You can use and resell php code from themes/plugins purchased here.
  3. You can’t use code from other themes/plugins here (even if full GPL) in themes/plugins that you then sell on this marketplace
  4. This is based on a house rule and I think you can agree it’s a good rule, otherwise I would just dowload your themes, rename ids/classes and change design a little and would sell your themes, and we would not want that.
  5. I know it’s only 6 lines but you also shown you don’t understand what I wrote above, and since you already had design issues with the same author, this was inevitable.

5754 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

And I would have changed it if it wasn’t GPL and originated from a GPL plugin. 6 words guys. We are talking about 249 theme files, and 6 words?

You should ask it yourself: Why I have to keep the same name as someone else’s name? Is there any benefit in utilizing GPL to borrow even words? Especially after getting complained for design similarities from exact same theme.

I am not pointing you did anything wrong or right. But it seems you didn’t play safe after changing the design.

1466 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

P.S I want nothing but success for all of us here, it’s just that we have to abide to some basic rules, otherwise it will fall apart.

P.P.S Yes Doru, we are aware of sara_p banners :P

by
by
by
by
by
by