17 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
Slappit says

Correct me if im wrong, but The Zilla shortcode plugin never came with the pricing tables.

So in this case, or am I wrong, but you have not just taken from a theme, the name or the themezilla plugin, but also the Pricing Tables which would have been developed by Nector Themes?

I know you will state it does not matter because its still GPL as it started with GPL.

But this is not ethical…

If I purchased one of your themes and hacked at it for code, would you let me sell it on here or would you be the first to complain?

1386 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
fuelthemes says

@fuelthemes

All this talk is just because you don’t understand this:

1. You can use GPL code in your theme and noone will say anything
  2. You can use and resell php code from themes/plugins purchased here.
  3. You can’t use code from other themes/plugins here (even if full GPL) in themes/plugins that you then sell on this marketplace
  4. This is based on a house rule and I think you can agree it’s a good rule, otherwise I would just dowload your themes, rename ids/classes and change design a little and would sell your themes, and we would not want that.
  5. I know it’s only 6 lines but you also shown you don’t understand what I wrote above, and since you already had design issues with the same author, this was inevitable.

I totally understand VF, but this is quite extreme isnt it? 6 lines of code is enough to label some one? I can send you my theme files. Feel free to compare all you want. Except for those 6 words, nothing is similar.

Then please remove all popular items using the same code. Not words, same functions, classes. House rules, right?

1386 posts
+6 more
fuelthemes says

Correct me if im wrong, but The Zilla shortcode plugin never came with the pricing tables.

So in this case, or am I wrong, but you have not just taken from a theme, the name or the themezilla plugin, but also the Pricing Tables which would have been developed by Nector Themes?

I know you will state it does not matter because its still GPL as it started with GPL.

But this is not ethical…

If I purchased one of your themes and hacked at it for code, would you let me sell it on here or would you be the first to complain?

I can never complain on PHP code, since by using Wordpress, you accept this as a user and a developer.

However, CSS, HTML and Javascript code is something different.

6081 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

P.P.S Yes Doru, we are aware of sara_p banners :P

Everyone is aware. We shouldn’t disturb a party! :D

148 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
loveetc says

6 words guys. We are talking about 249 theme files, and 6 words?

Its not about 6 words (6 words are what you are saying).You were accused of copying the design from ‘Salient’ theme and according to you that was just coincident.

Now they found the pieces of code from the same theme in your theme. Doesn’t this ‘NECTAR_THEME_NAME ’ belong to ThemeNectar, who are author of the ‘Salient’ theme?

So you took their design, copied their code and still playing innocent? You should be happy that your account is not disabled, and you got more than enough money from the theme whose design and code was copied from someone else.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

Hey FuelThemes,

It certainly isn’t fun to have your theme hard-rejected, so I can see why you’re not happy, however as was explained in your support ticket, your theme was removed for violating Envato’s Content Policy.

Unfortunately just saying “but GPL” doesn’t excuse copying from another marketplace theme, especially without even changing the names of theme-specific constants.

I don’t think that was the sole reason for disablement either. It seems to me it was a cumulative situtation where your design was too close to another theme, and then it was discovered you also had code snippets from the same theme.

Its inconvenient, but hopefully you can take this as a learning experience and avoid it next time.

1497 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
OriginalEXE says

So now we come to conclusion you also took pricing tables code? Or you deny that (did not reply to slappit)?

I will be first to vote for removing items using class Original_Exe because it would be obvious author took it from my code.

Also, noone should have same function/class names as you always have to prefix your classes (or functions if not writing oop), and I realy doubt your prefix of choice would be nektar?

1386 posts
+6 more
fuelthemes says

Hi Japh,

Please remove all popular items using the same code then?

For example Avada uses two functions:

function kriesi_pagination($pages = ’’, $range = 2) and function kriesi_breadcrumb() word by word. Yes, word “Kriesi” appears as well.

Since GPL does not apply to copying of other themes, and can be applied to translation phrases, remove it.

So now we come to conclusion you also took pricing tables code? Or you deny that (did not reply to slappit)?

I will be first to vote for removing items using class Original_Exe because it would be obvious author took it from my code.

Also, noone should have same function/class names as you always have to prefix your classes (or functions if not writing oop), and I realy doubt your prefix of choice would be nektar?

Guys you undestand that IT IS ONLY 6 LINES? They are not functions, not classes. single file, 6 lines of code.

I won’t post any more, but I will be filing support tickets for every theme that uses similar functions.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

Hi Japh,

Please remove all popular items using the same code then?

For example Avada uses two functions:

function kriesi_pagination($pages = ’’, $range = 2) and function kriesi_breadcrumb() word by word. Yes, word “Kriesi” appears as well.

Since GPL does not apply to copying of other themes, and can be applied to translation phrases, remove it.

Guys you undestand that IT IS ONLY 6 LINES? They are not functions, not classes. single file, 6 lines of code.

I won’t post any more, but I will be filing support tickets for every theme that uses similar functions.

FuelThemes, after looking at the tickets involved and the code, I can see that it’s more than 6 lines.

Spamming an already busy support queue with petty tickets won’t help your cause either.

I believe the case of Kriesi’s released code to be quite different from the case we’re discussing here.

7770 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
doru says

P.P.S Yes Doru, we are aware of sara_p banners :P
Everyone is aware. We shouldn’t disturb a party! :D

well someone should do something! I’m not invited!

by
by
by
by
by
by