751 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CyberShot says

I was working on a site for a customer yesterday and I couldn’t get the WordPress uploader to work. I did some googling and decided to open firebug and check the errors console. When I tried using the uploader, an error popped up showing a div with some html markup and it looked like a bunch of advertisements for drugs and other stuff. So I replaced the whole admin folder thinking that would fix it but it didn’t. So I dumped the database and reinstalled WordPress and that didn’t even fix it. Have you heard of such an issue? is it possible there is an infection in the web server that is causing this? I was shocked to find out that dumping the database didn’t work. I even tried other themes and got the same issue so I know it isn’t the theme my customer was using. Any ideas?

92 posts Be different!
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
+3 more
UnitedThemes says

Hi,

we had something similar a few weeks ago. One of our customers was complaining that our theme does not work and hijacked his server with damage to the database. In the end we found a code snippet inside the functions.php which was able to reproduce itself to every functions.php inside the theme folder. So whenever the user changed a theme or installed a new one, the code copied itself into each functions.php on the server. The initial reason where this code came from is still undiscovered but can has several reasons.

So this error still appears on a complete naked WordPress installation with a standard WordPress theme?

751 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CyberShot says

I didn’t check the functions.php file. I will look again tonight

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Greece