239 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
squaredmonkey says

Hi Guys..

Im currently using wordpress as a CMS for many of my clients. Its an awesome system.. and gives them alot of control…

However i feel there is so much maintenance involved. Each time there are updates (wp / plugins) you might run the risk of compatibility issues etc.. if you dont update your running a risk of beeing hacked. :confused:

How do you guys feel about it. Its kinda frustrating at times.. and I’m thinking about changing CMS for client projects.

Thx for the input :nerdy:

219 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
NuclearThemes says

Incompatibilities after an upgrade are a pain but if the upgrade fixes a security flaw and prevents a hacker from being given the opportunity then it’s worth it.

Other CMS ’ have this problem as well, take a look at Joomla for example. The upgrades there are known to break a lot of Themes / Extensions. Wordpress is updated far more often than the majority of other CMS I ’ve seen.

239 posts
squaredmonkey says
NuclearThemes said
Incompatibilities after an upgrade are a pain but if the upgrade fixes a security flaw and prevents a hacker from being given the opportunity then it’s worth it. Other CMS ’ have this problem as well, take a look at Joomla for example. The upgrades there are known to break a lot of Themes / Extensions. Wordpress is updated far more often than the majority of other CMS I ’ve seen.

Yeah.. i already heard that about Joomla. Any sugguestions of Wordpress alternatives?

117 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Romania
+1 more
cippo says
squaredmonkey said
Yeah.. i already heard that about Joomla. Any sugguestions of Wordpress alternatives?

MODx ?

3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

If themes are well built the updates wouldn’t create any incompatibility… same for plugins.

I develop WP in debug mode and, sadly, the majority of the free WP plugins are just full of errors.

So, in the end, it’s up to us to pick themes and plugins well built and thought.

239 posts
squaredmonkey says

@ cippo.. ok i’ll check it out.

@PK – Yeah i guess in theory you are right. But the reality looks a bit diffet. Take the example: WP Commerce. Constant issues with theme and plugin.

Do any of you have other sugguestions of alternatives as a CMS ?

3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says
squaredmonkey said

@PK – Yeah i guess in theory you are right. But the reality looks a bit diffet. Take the example: WP Commerce. Constant issues with theme and plugin.

You will never find a cms that have themes that work with any plugin available on the net.

In case of the wp ecommerce plugin we shouldn’t talk of issues… the only problem with it is that it needs to be styled accordingly to the theme and fit the theme’s structure.

All the plugins are built over the twentyeleven theme, so we can’t really expect them to work with every theme on sale…

Custom needs always require custom works, this is the truth.

239 posts
squaredmonkey says
ParkerAndKent said
squaredmonkey said

You will never find a cms that have themes that work with any plugin available on the net.

In case of the wp ecommerce plugin we shouldn’t talk of issues… the only problem with it is that it needs to be styled accordingly to the theme and fit the theme’s structure.

All the plugins are built over the twentyeleven theme, so we can’t really expect them to work with every theme on sale…

Custom needs always require custom works, this is the truth.

Exactly.. and thats a pain in the a—:D

by
by
by
by
by
by