126 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
matt5409 says

In your experience, are options in the admin panel crucial for a WP theme to be successful? I;m adept at front-end, and could build my own theme, but I’d really struggle to do the PHP stuff on my own (and don’t currently have the means to pay somebody. I’d love to get your thoughts on this, thanks!

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

In your experience, are options in the admin panel crucial for a WP theme to be successful? I;m adept at front-end, and could build my own theme, but I’d really struggle to do the PHP stuff on my own (and don’t currently have the means to pay somebody. I’d love to get your thoughts on this, thanks!

Soon or later when making premium layouts you’ll need some general options to handle exceptions.

Using option tree is pretty easy, you don’t need any expert skill to use it :)

126 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
matt5409 says

Soon or later when making premium layouts you’ll need some general options to handle exceptions.

Using option tree is pretty easy, you don’t need any expert skill to use it :)

hmm, seems useful, thanks for that i’ll look into it :)

137 posts Ahoy, me Hearties!
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
ChrisMooney says

I use: https://github.com/devinsays/options-framework-theme

Options tree isn’t a great solution as your buyers will need to install the plugin for them to use the options. Another step on installation, is another pain point for buyers.

Hope that helps.

edit: also to add, Options Tree has broken in the past leaving some authors stuck…just glad I wasn’t using it.

126 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
matt5409 says

I use: https://github.com/devinsays/options-framework-theme

Options tree isn’t a great solution as your buyers will need to install the plugin for them to use the options. Another step on installation, is another pain point for buyers.

Hope that helps.

edit: also to add, Options Tree has broken in the past leaving some authors stuck…just glad I wasn’t using it.
Thanks Chris, just watching the tutorial video now, it looks really good.
336 posts
  • Netherlands
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
RikdeVos says

I’m selling a wordpress options panel, have a look in my portfolio. It’s really easy to implement – little to no PHP experience is required.

12 posts Nice
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
quitenicestuff says

I think its pretty crucial to have an options panel, from my experience people are generally quite lazy (or short of time) and prefer to set stuff via an options panel rather than doing coding :p

I personally use: https://github.com/sy4mil/Options-Framework

I’m far from being a PHP expert and I find it easy to use.

20 posts
  • Canada
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
gnrocks says

I think its pretty crucial to have an options panel, from my experience people are generally quite lazy (or short of time) and prefer to set stuff via an options panel rather than doing coding :p

I personally use: https://github.com/sy4mil/Options-Framework

I’m far from being a PHP expert and I find it easy to use.

I agree with this ! I don’t think you could be able to offer a theme that is minimally customizable without an admin panel. No one would buy that except if your theme is extraordinarily unique ! You might consider for example HTML templates if you don’t like the idea of an admin panel !

439 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Pixelous says

Hey, guys, as a variant you could build your own theme options with a help of http://codex.wordpress.org/Settings_API

126 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
matt5409 says

thanks again for all the useful responses. this is getting bookmarked. I really want to offer value with my work, and it just seems right that if I’m creating for WP there will be custom options.

thanks again

by
by
by
by
by
by